t e n

10

Say it before you run out of time.
Say it before it's too late.
Say what you're feeling.
Waiting is a mistake.

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ

Skylar wakes up, sighing in disappointment. It was her 16th birthday, and she was excited to spend it with her family. Until her mom said she had a business trip and won't be back until the weekend.

Her mom did buy the ingredients for a cake but said she should bake it herself or ask her dad for help. Not feeling totally bummed, Skylar was still happy her dad was free. Until he said, he was working on a new project for work and will be home late.

What's worse is that she can't even see Bea since she's had the flu all week. But Bea promised once she's better, they'll celebrate.

All that's left is Issac, and it's kind of been awkward since they almost kissed. Awkward in the sense that they can't hold eye contact long. But not enough to where they can't talk at all.

She trudged down the stairs and caught her dad eating a bagel. He looks up with a smile and says, "Happy birthday, Sky!"

He gives her a quick hug and says, "I made your favorite cereal."

Skylar glances at the cornflakes and pastes a smile. "Thanks!" She says, knowing she hates cornflakes. But she knows it's the thought that counts and shoves most of it into her mouth.

"I'm sorry I won't be back until late, but I promise we can all celebrate this weekend." Her dad states before leaving for work.

She nods, no longer believing in their empty promises. Throwing the rest of her cereal away, she goes back up the stairs to get ready.

Outfit:

She feels cute and does a little twirl in front of her mirror

She feels cute and does a little twirl in front of her mirror. She hears her phone vibrate from a text and sees her mom texted.

Mom:

Hbd

Skylar scoffs, realizing her mom didn't even have time to spell three words. Ignoring the text, she grabs her backpack and heads out to meet Issac.

Issac subtly checks her out and says, "Happy birthday, Dimples!"

"Thank you!" She says with a sad smile.

Issac knows today must suck for her, knowing everyone is dealing with something stopping them from celebrating her birthday. But to hopefully get her to smile for real, he says, "I got you something."

"Aww, you didn't have to!" She says, feeling bad.

He hands her a mini drawstring bag for jewelry, and she opens it.