Chapter 2- Declan

Running across the field was the only peace I got everyday. I would work out every morning on the soccer field for an hour before school started. It helped me clear my mind and not think about anything going on in my life. Today however I only ran for a half an hour before everything came flooding into my head about yesterday. I slowly sank to my knees in the middle of the field and held back the tears that wanted to come out of my eyes. I watched Silas the whole time yesterday, trying to find a good time to talk to him. He always walked with his head down, even when he was with his friend. The one time he looked up and caught my green eyes with his grey I felt like I was dying. I smiled at him and he looked scared and turned around almost running away from me. That made my heart drop, this was never going to work.

I looked at my watch and noticed I had been on the ground for twenty minutes. I quickly got up and went to the locker room to take a shower before classes started. To my surprise Tommy was sitting in there waiting for me. I groaned and went to my locker to grab my towel.

"What is it Tommy, I really need to shower and get ready for class." I said trying to walk around him now that he was standing in front of me.

"Why are you doing this bet Dec?" He asked, saying his nickname for me, making me flinch.

"The guys will never let me live it down if I don't. You know this." I said moving around him and into the shower stall. He followed me, annoying the hell out of me.

"I know that isn't the real reason. You both are just going to get hurt from this and I don't want that." He said, making me look back at him confused.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I almost screamed.

"You know what it means. Just be careful with him Dec." He said and walked away. I just shook my head and took my shower.

During lunch I didn't see Silas anywhere and decided to walk around the school to look for him. I saw his friend leave the library and I followed my hunch and went into the room. I moved around the stacks and finally found him, sitting on the floor at the very far back of the room. I stood there watching him for a moment. He was reading a book with ear buds in his ear, probably listening to music at the same time. He was biting his bottom lip, back and forth between his piercings. I felt something stir within me and almost bolted out of the room. Instead I walked over and stood over him, waiting for him to notice me. When he did he moved so fast I almost laughed. He ripped the ear buds out of his ears, threw his book on the floor, stood up with arms covering his face. It made my heart hurt to see him so scared of me.

"Hey Silas, calm down. Please?" I practically begged him. I hated to see him like this. His arms slowly lowered from his face and wrapped around his waist. His head slowly lifted and his eyes met mine, my god he was so gorgeous.

"What do you want Sylvester?" ouch that hurt. I smiled at him again trying to show I was not going to hurt him, he just tried backing up into the book shelf even more than he already was.

"I swear I'm not here to hurt you. I, shit, I need your help." I said making it look like it was hard for me to ask him this. I figured the only way I could be with him alone would be to ask for help with my work. I wasn't failing anything but he didn't need to know that.

"My help. With what?" He asked suspicion, lacing his words, eyebrow cocking up in interest.

"Well I need to be passing all my classes to stay on the soccer team. I really don't want to lose my captain spot. I'm failing math at the moment and you are the only person I know that is really acing the class." I said running my hands in my hair.

"Really?" He asked. Shit did he know I was actually second in the class right below him.

"Yeah. I have been getting distracted with Soccer and not really pulling my weight in the class. I just can't get some of the problems down. Would you please be willing to help me out?" I said hoping it was believable.

"I guess I could tutor you. You have to be at all the times we set up or I will stop right then. I'm not going to waste my time if you are not going to put your time in to do it." He said, his arms finally come down to his side. I smile brightly at him and he slowly smiles back. Wow I need to make him do that more often.

"Alright. How about first meeting today after school. I don't have practice. We can figure out the other times at that time." I said hoping he would agree and he wasn't busy already.

"Let me make sure that Taylor has a ride home first. Um, can I get your number so I can let you know wh." I quickly cut him off handing him my phone at the same time.

"Put your number in and call your phone." He was shocked at my quickness and gently took the phone from my hand, our fingers brushing together making my breath hitch. He quickly put his number in and then I heard his phone ring. He clicked the end call button and handed my phone back to me.

"Hope we can meet later. Just text me to let me know." I smiled as the bell rang. "I'll see you later." I smiled and before I knew what the hell I was doing I pulled him into a hug and thanked him. The look of shock on his face when I quickly pulled away was priceless.

When I made it to class I sat next to Tommy with a smile on my face. He looked over confused at me and leaned over to whisper.

"What are you smiling at?" He asked.

"I have set up tutoring from Silas. So I will have him alone with me. First step, check." I laughed and I saw Tommy shake his head and lean away from me. What the hell was his problem?