One

Chasin' You - Morgan Wallen

"Dani! C'mon the sun is setting!" Morgan gently shakes his girlfriend awake, she fell asleep on the plaid couch in the den of his home. "It's the first sunset of the summer!" She groans as she sits up, rubbing her blue eyes sleepily. "I got everything in the truck! Let's go, we're loosing time!" She slowly stands just to bother him, it works. Morgan grabs her and tosses her over his shoulder, the young couple laugh loudly as they head outside. He puts her down in the cab of his red two door 1978 Chevy C/K 10 truck, runs to the other side then starts it up. Dani smiles over at the boy as he speeds off to their spot in the woods.

This summer is going to be their best summer yet. They're high school seniors now so this is their last summer to be reckless.

Morgan has butterflies in his belly as they pull up to a small river access off the Clinch River, no one knows about this spot so it's perfect for swimming. "I'll get the stuff." Dani nods as she hops out of the truck. "C'mon now!"

Morgan takes off to the riverbank, dropping two folding chairs and a couple of towels down on the ground, alongside a cooler. "What's in there?"

"I got some snacks and beer."

"Did your old man buy you that?"

"Nah, I sweet talked the lady from that liquor store off Louthan." He winks at her, making her roll her eyes.

"That mouth is gonna get you in trouble one day, Wallen."

"Hasn't yet." He chuckles as he sets up the chairs, putting the cooler between them. "I can't wait to get in that water." He grins, kicking his sneakers off followed by his t-shirt and jeans. "C'mon darlin'!" He shouts as he runs to the river, leaping from the shore into the water.

Dani laughs and strips her shorts, t-shirt, and slip-ons off, leaving her in her underwear, then joins him. "Holy shit, it's cold!" She gasps, splashing water at Morgan when he laughs at her. "Shut up!"

"C'mon now, darlin, I've got whiskey in the cooler. It'll warm you right on up." They smile at each other as he holds his hand out and pulls her close. Dani wraps her arms and legs around his neck and waist, pressing a kiss to his lips. "This summer is going to be great."

+++

It's nearing midnight and the two of them are intoxicated, she's a bubbly drunk and he's reckless. "I can't wait to move somewhere where the summers last forever," she says. "where it's warm all the time."

"Where are you going to college?" He asks, trying to focus on the conversation instead of the urge to attempt a backflip off his truck.

"Hoping for University of Tennessee." She says holding up crossed fingers. "They'll probably decline me, though."

"Now, why do you say that?"

"I dunno. My momma used to tell me that I wasn't smart enough for them and that I shouldn't even bother with college." She shrugs.

"She's lyin'. You know that, Ella." She blushes at the nickname, he usually calls her that to cheer her up, it always works. "They're thinkin' about offerin' me a baseball scholarship."

"No way! You'd do so great there!"

"They're sendin recruits tobsome of the games this year." She leans over and kisses him softly. "You'll be there too, right?"

"Have I ever missed one of your games?" She asks, laughing. "Ouch, babe." He shakes his head. "I'm messin' with you." She reaches down and grabs another beer. "You need to relax, it's summer!"