Nineteen

"Hey, we gotta get the ball rollin' on this wedding." Dani says to Morgan a few weeks later. "We've been engaged for almost a year and have done no planning."

"The church, my dad can marry us." He says back, his eyes never leaving the tv as the Vols play Vanderbilt. "Done and done." He snaps his fingers. "The girls can make the food for us, it can be like a potluck type deal."

"That's not a bad idea. You get to ask 'em though. Reception?"

"Here or my folks house. Outside so there's more room. Everyone can bring a table and chairs, y'know, like a furniture potluck." She rolls her eyes. "Corn hole and horseshoes."

"Is this a wedding reception or a barbecue?"

"I'm just sayin'." He says, putting his hands up in defense. "It'll be a good time."

"Music?"

"Speaker and a playlist, free and easy." He winks, looking over his shoulder at her in the kitchen. "Hit me again."

She chuckles. "My dress and your suit."

"Family heirlooms?"

"Oof so close." She clicks her tongue. "I ain't  wearing my mother's dress, she's had nothin' but bad luck."

"Fine, you can go shoppin' with my momma and sisters when me and my pops go tux shoppin'."

"No denim suits!" She shouts as she heads upstairs, laughing when Morgan groans. "I swear to God, I will fight you if you come home with a denim suit."

"Ugh, fine!" He says, kicking his feet up on the coffee table. "What else do you need an answer to?"

"We still need to get rings and a photographer..." she trails off. "We need a date. How did I miss that?"

"September eighth!"

"No, you can't just pull a date outta your ass. Plus that's when my folks got married." She walks in front of the game to get to the bookshelf, grabbing a farmers almanac.

"We have one of those?"

"Shh!" She says, squinting at the small font. "August 12th? Coolest day of the month, says clear skies and it's a full moon, spooky." She wiggles her eyebrows at him, making him giggle. "How's that sound? Nice day for an outdoor reception."

"Perfect. Open bar?"

"Coolers and Kegs?"

"Hell yeah, baby." He pats the spot next to him. She sits and leans against him as he drapes his arm around her. "I'll talk to my folks, see what they can do."

"We need a wedding party."

"Outside, corn hole, horseshoes-"

"No no, like bridesmaids and groomsmen- I guess we really don't need them. It can just  be the two of us."

"That works."

"I'll call your momma and sisters and see if they wanna go dress shoppin' with me soon." He presses a kiss to the side of her head.

Morgan turns the game off then turns the radio on, standing to pulls her up with him. "Dance with me." She smiles and they dance to whatever country song is on the radio.

+++

Lesli has Dani in a big dress, the skirt is so big that she can barely get out of the dressing room. "I'm gonna have to pass, momma." She says, freezing when that word slips out of her mouth. "I'm sorry." She whispers.

"Oh baby." She stands and gives her a hug. "I always thought of you as a daughter already."

"Thanks." She smiles, turning to look in the mirror. "I'm gonna pass on this." Morgan's sisters were both busy and Dani needed to get a dress as soon as possible with the wedding in three months. "Not my style."