The Case Continues

After Prentiss came up with her theory, she had told the team over their morning coffee and subtle conversation about the case. Emily had finished her cup, along with everyone but Morgan, he was known for his slow coffee consumption afterall. "Why would she rip out their hearts?" JJ had asked. Prentiss responded quickly, trying to move as fast as she could to solve this case due to the face they may have had a major lead "She wanted to get revenge, the other person heart needed to be broken, like hers was. Because we haven't seen the hearts anywhere near the victims bodys we don't actually know what the unsub is doing with them." Emily scanned the room to see if any of the other agents wanted to ask a question "Wow, nice job everyone." Hotch chimed in, proud of his employees as if they were his children. 

"Maybe one of the victims were the person that broke her heart? Or she's leading up to the person that did!" Morgan suggested, hands tightening around his paper like coffee cup in excitement. "Garcia, can you try to see if the first victim was in any relationship before they died, or ending a relationship recently?" Reid asked, or more like demanded. Emilys heart raced with pride as they were finally getting a lead. This was her favorite part of the job, one of the main reasons she never quit. The excitement and pride of piecing the case together was un-beatable and frankly addicting "Got it" Garcia replied on the other side of the computer.

"There is another victim" The lead sheriff informed the team not long after, a meloncholy look on his face, he looked genuinely upset. "Are you okay sherif? You look upset." JJ kindly asked, her tone warm and welcoming. Despite her light tone, the sheriff was not having it, "Am I okay? Of course I'm not okay, people in my city are getting their harts torn out of their chest while you guys are sipping you warm coffee and you dare to ask if I'm okay!" The volume in his voice increased everyones heart rates slightly, to the point where they had all immediately became nervous. "Technically our unsub isn't tear their hearts our but rather removing it." Reid chimed in quietly, earning an rightfully upset look from the sheriff "Do they match the victimology?" Rossi quickly changed the subject "Yes, they do." 

"Emily and Reid, go look at the crime scene" Hotchner ordered after the sheriff left the room. Everyone looked at him for a second, listening to that sentence over in their heads again, and eventually getting back to work. Hotch rarely called his employees by their first name. It was a barley noticeable mistake in his wording, but one that confused some of the team. It was seemingly unimportant for the time being as they all had a chain of murders to solve. 

Morgan's phone rang "Hey babygirl." His voice softened as he listened to Penelope on the other end of the phone. "Hey, I just finished looking through each of the victims social media accounts. Turn's out that miss victim number 1, you know, the one with the purple hair and stuff. Should I get purple hair, of course not all purple but some..." "Garcia!" Morgan interrupted softly while rolling his eyes, reminding Garcia what she was doing. This was a common occurrence considering she was easily distracted. 

"Oh right, victim numero uno was in a public relationship with a girl named "Sylvia Langth", but there are also posts of victim 1 with a girl named "Alice Jakes"" Garcia managed to squeeze all those words out in 1 breath. Sometimes Morgan wondered how Penelope seemed go be able to find anything within seconds, like the names of ex girlfriends shouldn't be pubic information on someones internet profile, but apparently it was public enough that Garcia could find it.

"Why do I remember the name Alice Jakes?" Morgan asked, picking at his memory in hopes to find the name sitting somewhere in it, but soon gave up when Garcia answered. "That, my sweets is because she is victim number 2." Garcia dropped her pen as if it was a microphone, as if she was a singer or rapper, and not a hacker for the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI "Thanks babygirl" "No problem, now the Garcia train is still running so I'll see you later." Garcia hung up the phone first, and got back to her merry typing.

"Why did Hotch call you Emily?" Reid said once they finished looking at the 4th crime scene, Emily driving and Reid playing with his bag in the passengers seat. "I'm not sure. Maybe he was thinking and just made a mistake?" Prentiss was trying to hide her facial expressions so Reid couldn't notice that she was lying. He wasn't the best facial reader in the FBI, but Prentiss knew she was probably as easy to read as a book, and that means a lot more considering it was Spencer she was talking to. "hmm." Reid responded, not with a word, but with a kinda humming noise, a noise he made when he thought.

"You know, Hotch is single. Maybe you and him would be a good match." Reid was thinking out loud, which threw Prentiss off guard. He wasn't smiling or laughing or anything, he was dead serious. This alone sent shivers down Emilys spine. "He's my boss." she responded. "But Rossi and Strauss are kinda a thing." Reid made Prentiss uncomfortable once again. "Maybe" that was all that was said for the rest of the car ride. Nothing more, nothing less. The two agents both sat in the silence, only hearing the traffic outside of the SUV.

-------------

Finally an okay length chapterrrrrrr...

I only have a week left of school so I will probably finish it before June 10th :)