Family Above All

Josie walked into her room, hoping to find her sister.

"Lizzie?"

"She is not here" informed Hope's voice who was sitting on the side of her bed, she jumped when she heard it. The memory of their last conversation sent butterflies to her stomach. "She went out with MG to see a movie if you want to join them"

Just thinking of the smell of her sister's perfume combined with the smell of cheese fries that MG loved made her stomach turn.

"No thanks, how did you get in?"

"Magic"

Josie rolled her eyes.

"Of course"

When she took off her jacket, a couple of brochures fell off. She leaned over to pick them up, but found that a pair of hands were faster.

Hope's eyebrows rise when she read the title of a pamphlet . You and your baby. Josie gently took it from her hands and placed the papers on her nightstand.

"I just came from the doctor"

Hope straightened at her reserved tone.

"what did they tell you?"

She avoided her eyes.

"I have all the signs of a high risk pregnancy"

"what does that mean?" Hope asked fearfully. What if it had to do with being a tribrid? Had her genes doomed her child from the beginning? Her wolf squirmed inside her, it had already accepted Josie's baby as its own, part of its pack. It was not going to allow any harm to the girl and their future pup.

She silently hands her one of the pamphlet titled "High Risk Pregnancy". She watched as fear covered her face and was a bit hesitant to tell her the next part, but she knew Hope deserved the truth.

"She also told me that if I wanted to interrupt the pregnancy now would be the right time"

Hope froze looking up at her. From the moment she had accepted what Josie said, a million scenarios of how this could work had crossed her mind. Some terrified her, while others made her happier than she had been in a long time. But she had never considered the possibility that Josie didn't want the baby. Suddenly the idea of her baby seemed out of reach and she wondered if the brunette had already done it. Had her child left before she was sure that she was ready for it? Fear washed over her.

"What do you want?" she forced herself to ask.

"It would be ... easier" she admitted looking down. Then she smiled "but when did you know that I do something the easy way?"

The tightness in the tribrid's chest eased and she was able to breathe again.

Josie wasn't sure what to do until her Aunt Elena had said about terminating the pregnancy, a cold, clinical way of saying that she would kill her baby.

In that moment, the baby had been real to her. Not a mistake in lab results or a problem she didn't know how to handle, but something real, a part of her. And a ferocity had invaded her, a certainty that this baby was hers and she would not let anything harm it.

"You know, my family has a sacred vow, as sacred as always and forever. The family above all, we all honour it, it's part of being a Mikaelson, it's part of being my family" Hope shrugged "this baby... is my family"

Hope's hand reached out to where the baby rested.

"Does that mean you believe me?"

Hope nodded.