Goodbye to an old love

Fortunately for Maya, Hope arrived before things got more serious, the only bad thing is that one of the wolves hit MG so hard that he broke his neck, killing him for a few minutes.

After fixing everything with the wolves, the tribrid returned to their room, finding Landon watching the sunset through the window.

"You have no idea how good it feels to be back, after everything that's happened lately" he said with a happy smile on his face.

Hope frowned.

"Everything, meaning Maya ... or me?"

The boy's smile wavered.

"Meeting your roommate has definitely been an experience, but I was talking about us"

Hope sighed.

"I've wanted to talk to you all day, but I haven't had time"

"Does it have to do with you asking Kaleb for a sleeping bag?"

The tribrid straightened, looking resigned but determined.

"Yes it is"

Landon told himself that this is what he had always wanted, for Hope to be open about what she was feeling. So why did he suddenly feel so scared?

To delay whatever Hope was going to say, he stepped forward before he could speak.

"Hope, I was afraid that you wouldn't forgive me for faking my death."

Hope looked at him for a moment.

"We have made mistakes"

"I know, but this is our chance to start over, Hope I came back for you, for us" he put a hand on her cheek "I want to be there for you"

Hope placed a hand over his and pulled it away from her face. Then she said the words that she was sure would break the boy's heart.

"I don't know"

"what?"

She sighed and closed her eyes. Wishing for an easier way to say this, a way that she wouldn't hurt the boy in front of her, but knowing there was no way, she just spoke the truth.

"Landon, after your funeral, I ran into a monster. He offered to show me a life where we weren't together "

"Hope, what ..."

"I blamed myself for your death. I thought that if we weren't together you wouldn't have died, that you'd be safe, but you still... died. " She takes a deep breath and continue "I fell in love with someone else, we had children together. I asked her to marry me. It was Josie "

Landon's brow furrowed as he tried to distance himself from the pain he felt hearing her speak like that about someone other than him.

"I don't understand. That monster caused you a hallucination, what does that have to do with us? It wasn't real"

"It was" she interrupted "it was more real to me than anything I've ever felt"

Her words cut the phoenix like a knife.

"included me?"

She looked away from him and he got his answer.

"So while I was doing my best to be with you again, you were moving on with Josie?" he said breathing heavily. "Is that why she came here a while ago?"

Hope's gaze shot up to him.

"Was Josie here?" What did she say? "

Disgusted by the way the tribrid focused on Josie, he spat angrily.

"She just came to say hello, we talked about me staying here and then she left"

Hope closed her eyes, knowing what Josie must be thinking.

Landon read her face and knew it was Josie she was worried about. Not him. Not them. How could she do this to him? After everything he did for them, she was falling in love with a hallucination. He shook his head, unable to believe it.

"After everything we've been through, are you going to throw away our love for a dream that won't last?"

She turned to look at him and for the first time since he had returned, he finally recognized the look in her eyes every time she looked at him. It was a look that told him that he was her past.

"Landon, I loved you. I wanted to be with you more than anything and I put you before everyone else in my life "

"I never asked you to do that" he protest.

"I know, you never had to." Her adoration for him had always been the result of her own hopes and fantasies. "When we were together, when everything was perfect, I still couldn't shake the fear that it wouldn't last. That if I didn't do everything in my power to have you with me, I would lose you. But with Josie, I never felt like this. I know that when I hug her, she will be there, always. I'm not afraid anymore"

But Landon was and he was angry.

"what happened now?"

"Landon, I want you to be safe."

He scoffed.

"Landon, I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you."

"Are you sure, Hope?"

Then he kissed her, but instead that she pulled him towards her as always happened, she pushed him back.

"I'm sure Landon"

"Then I think I'll go; I'll find where to sleep"

Hope heard the annoyance in his voice, but she knew there was nothing she could do to make him feel better, she needed to cut the connection that united them.

The boy walked to the door and turned to Hope one last time. The tribrid knew there was only one thing left to say.

"Bye, Landon"

The phoenix pursed his lips, nodded, and left.