Five

"Tell Jared to keep his filthy hands off my little sister!"

Well, her fury was better on James than it would be on him, he mused thoughtfully as he stared at the female, her blue eyes sparkling with anger.

"I can't do that to them, I've seen he has deep feelings for her," James replied with a shrug.

Wrong move, dude, Cupid groaned.

He was right when he called his shrug a wrong move because she took his shrug as a sign of lack of concern.

"Feelings like yours?" She sneered.

Cupid was quick to notice the hurt look that crossed his face and he felt a pang of guilt as he stared at them quarrel.

They would have been wonderful couples, you know, his subconscious reminded him.

He rolled his eyes. He already knew that and didn't need to be reminded.

"Cassie, you know that's not true," he muttered in a broken voice.

Save for Cupid's hypersensitive ears, he wouldn't have heard the guy.

"What I know is that you are an unreliable, egotistical maniac!" She yelled in his face.

"I hate you!"

Cupid stepped out of his hiding spot to hold the wailing female as she repeatedly hit his chest, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I hate you, James!"

That's an improvement, he mused thoughtfully, when there's hate there's still hope for love.

"Cassie, I believe this young man has had enough of your harassment," he said pulling her away from James who did nothing but gaze at her with a sober expression.

"Let me go!"

The female transferred her aggression to him, hitting on his chest with her fist.

"What's it to you?" She snapped, "I told you to fuck me and you refused."

"That's not an appropriate discussion right now and I can't remember you telling me that," he replied calmly.

"Well, fuck me!"

He shook his head as he watched her strut off then turned towards James who was glaring at him, anger simmering in his eyes.

"Who the fuck are you?!"

Cupid knew from experience that questions like this from humans were always accompanied by a punch but with immortals like himself, it was a display of magic so he wasn't surprised when James swung his fist back and connected with empty air before landing on the floor.

"How did you...wh-what the..."

Cupid nodded allowing the surprised mortal to recover from his shock and stand up.

"You think you're so macho simply because you can dodge a couple of blows, right!" James sneered.

"I'm not fucking your girl and I have no intentions of doing that."

His thoughts were occupied by a certain flawless goddess.

"You're not?"

Cupid groaned. "Nope, I just wanna help."

James sat down on the terrace suddenly feeling sad and tired. Tears filled his green eyes and Cupid felt another twinge of guilt.

"There's no hope there," he mumbled.