Twenty-One

"Get the Christmas tree!"

"At the center, over here, no a little to the right...left..."

On and on the conversation went on. The placing of the Christmas tree at the center of the town was what had everyone contributing. The mayor, the citizens.

Cupid smiled as he took in their beautiful attire, red and white colors were the order of the day. There were radiant smiles on everyone's faces. Christmas was in nine days and they intended to have fun till the new year.

He was currently trying to blend in by hanging some Christmas lights on the pole everywhere on the streets. When he finished, he stood back to observe his handwork and smiled when the lights were shining singing different Christmas songs.

"This is beautiful and creative, Cupid."

Cupid glanced beside him and saw Ella standing beside him, her smile looking radiant as before. He noticed she was wearing the relic that was in form of a necklace on her neck.

"Mayor Jenkins gave it to me," she said when she saw his eyes eying her neck.

"Why?" He queried.

She rolled her eyes. "Duh! We found the treasure and since neither Sacha nor Cassie wants it, he gave it to me."

He nodded. "It suits you."

"I told her the same thing," Sacha chipped in.

She was holding some of the Christmas tree decorations in her hands.

"Haven't they finished setting up the tree?" He asked.

She shook her head. "They can't decide which place it would fit in."

"Where's Cassie?" He asked scanning the crowd and seeing no sign of her.

"She's hiding in that store over there eating chocolate," Ella replied in a tone filled with disgust. She was pointing at the store that was opposite them.

Cupid chuckled and went in the direction of the store. She was long overdue for a conversation from him.

Pulling the glass double doors open, the bell jingled and the Christmas song continued playing. The shop was decorated with all of the Christmas stuff.

Cassie was seating on the counter munching happily on a bar of chocolate, six more littered beside her and the empty wrappings littered on the floor.

"Cassie." He shook his head sadly at her.

"What!" She growled at him.

"Aren't you supposed to be helping the others outside?" He asked.

"Yeah, I decided to help inside this shop," she replied dryly.

He chuckled before plopping down on one of the available chairs that Cassie wasn't resting her ankles on.

"Where's James?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "How should I know that?"

"Why do you hate him so much?" He asked.

Her eyes were instantly filled with sadness as she looked away from him biting her lips. It was clear that she was holding back her tears.

"It doesn't matter," she mumbled.

"If it doesn't, why don't you let it go?" He probed.

"Why don't I let go?! Like it's so easy to do that."

The tears were streaming down her cheeks now.

"I trusted him, Cupid. Gave him my heart, he gave me a reason to live again a-and he took it!"

Cupid said nothing, didn't make any move to comfort her. He just sat still listening to her rage on.

"We were supposed to get married last Christmas, did you know that?" She asked wiping off the stray tears.

He nodded. "So I've heard."

"On Christmas Eve, guess what he did."

He already knew but he kept quiet.

"It was our party, he was having his bachelor's party and I was having my bachelorette party," she continued.

"He slept with a girl, got drunk as fuck, and slept in. He didn't show up for our fucking wedding, didn't wake up when he was dropped into a fucking river to make him sober, he just slept and woke up the following morning!"

Cupid massaged his temples when he noticed her aura had changed from sadness to anger.

"How did you know he slept with the girl?"

She glared at him. "I should have known you would side with him."

He shook his head frowning. "I'm only trying to confirm the facts here."

"Well, she was alone in his room and they were both drunk, naked, and asleep," she mumbled in a disgusted tone.

Cupid massaged his temples again. He could feel a headache forming. He knew James was innocent and he didn't sleep with the girl with clear eyes if he hadn't been at that party and convinced the mortal to drink that portion.

How would he explain to her and convince her that James had been drugged by an immortal wine—not ambrosia or nectar, it would kill any mortal who drinks it—but an enchanted wine he had gotten from one of his sorcerer friend and longed to share it with unsuspecting mortals who just turned out to be James and the girl.

"Before you even convince me that he may have been drugged, we had him tested and the doctor found no trace of drugs in his system except alcohol that's how we knew he was drunk."

They wouldn't find anything because it wasn't a mortal drink.

He nodded. "You realize there's a possibility that James might be innocent."

"I don't give a flying..."

The rest of her words were drowned out by the piercing scream that filled the air, detaching him away from the rest of the world.

His ears twitched again and the ear-splitting scream filled his eardrums forever remained branded.

"Come with me!"

His voice gave no room for arguments and Cassie snapped her mouth shut, racing after him.

He found Sacha and Linda standing and admiring the Christmas tree, it was now positioned well and glowing.

"Where's Ella?" He asked in an urgent tone.

"She went towards the water, said she heard someone in pains," Sacha replied.

"I still couldn't understand how she heard the voice though," Linda mused thoughtfully.

"And you let her go alone?!"

Three piercing female eyes stared curiously at him.

"No, she left with Jared," Linda replied.

"Why?" Sacha asked.

His gaze locked with Sacha.

"Stay together."

She nodded and he strode away towards the river, the screaming has stopped already only the sound of his beating heart was heard.

-------------------------

A/N: Get ready guys this story is gradually approaching its climax. Are you ready for an emotional roller coaster ride?

We finally know why James and Cassie broke up and what Cupid had to do with it.

Ella and Jared...well, I dunno I hope nothing happens to them 😪

Stay tuned for more chapters.

Thanks for reading guys. Hit the lil star and leave your comments.

Much love ❤️
Goodness.