chapter 3 | not that easy

the next day, you found yourself waking up a little later than you would lately. not that you were late for work or anything. you were just sort of right on time? like a minute before your alarm would go off. you grabbed a cup and noticed that you were still missing that other one you offered changkyun. suddenly, all you could think of was him and his warm yet awkward smile.

you clear your throat before grabbing one of your coffee packets. you inserted it into your coffee machine before taking a small stretch against the counter. while you waited for it, you went over to your room and grabbed a few clothes to change into. you were going for a little chic look today. you grabbed your denim skirt and tucked in a black button up shirt and placed chains around your neck. you grabbed your combat boots which you bought a few months since they were on sale. after, you rushed back to the machine to see your coffee cup full. you grabbed it and placed your lid on so it doesn't get cold. you reached for your purse that was laying on the counter before grabbing your keys and leaving the house. right as you lock the house and turn around, you see a man. you froze in your spot as the man slowly turned, showing his face.

"changkyun-ssi?"

"hey. you woke up a little late today, huh?" you blushed, embarrassed.

"how long have you been waiting here?" yo said, more concerned on whether or not he was waiting in this chilly morning weather.

"about thirty minutes." you almost choked on your own spit before you look at him, wide eyed.

"you could have been caught by a fan. or worse, caught a cold or gotten sick. you could have at least knocked," you said, not noticing how your concerned voice was also a half yelling voice. you look down in shame and sighed. "i'm sorry. i was just..." he chuckled, ruffling your hair.

"worried? i'm glad you were," you blink at the sudden touch as he lets go with a bit on his lip. "i actually brought my car today." you noticed the black car in front of your house. you obviously knew what he was trying to get at but you pretended not to know. when all of a sudden, you feel your phone vibrate. you look down at your purse and take your phone out, answering the call.

"oh mom. what's up?" you said, confused with her calling randomly without any warning.

"where are you right now?" you felt like you could hear her crying but you couldn't tell whether she was happy or sad.

"mom. what's wrong?"

"sweetie.. your cousin's getting married!" you honestly almost cursed at yourself. the first thing you thought was why? you should congratulate her and tell her that you wish her a happy life with her husband. but why is it that you only feel jealousy and pain for hearing that others are successful in life? you were successful. in fact, you were getting the most income, in terms of jobs.

"oh wow! umm..," you held back any other emotions and smiled. "tell her i said congrats. i hope she's happy." you weren't lying. you seriously meant it. it just felt weird.

"why don't you tell her yourself? we can stop by this weekend." you tried to find an excuse but you really couldn't.

"mom.."

"yeah, sweetie."

"i don't know if i can do it." all of a sudden, your mom's voice changes.

"why, honey?"

"i just.. i might be busy with my schedule. i got promoted and.."

"oh," you could tell she was disappointed. "but maybe another time?"

"of course, mom. i have to go but i'll call you later. okay?"

"hm.." you could practically feel the disappointment from her through the phone. you pulled your phone away from your ear and sighed, forgetting changkyun who was just standing there, in front of you, listening to every word. you looked up and noticed his warm look. in a quick second, he pulls you into a hug. you fall into his embrace and feel yourself well up. you had never let it bother you so much but why now?