twenty one >>> echo

The silence between me and Echo was unbearable

The silence between me and Echo was unbearable. I would look to her from time to time out of the corner of my eye, but all I would see was the girl looking straight ahead with an emotionless face. I didn't bother to speak. It was different now that the first time we met. If I can even say that...I don't remember much from that day, but Echo's eyes were soft sort of how Lexa looks at me. But now? Echo just looks heartless like most of the grounders. 

"You know you shouldn't stare," Echo said. I blink my eyes and realize I'm actually looking at the girl. Quickly I look away and to the ground watching my shoes. 

"S-Sorry," I reply, clenching my jaw. I pick up my head a bit looking down the hall when I see Echo stop walking. I stop abruptly and turn on my heels facing the girl. My eyes lock with her almost instantly for a brief moment before she looks around. Her eyes look behind her to the sides of us and even behind me. I tilt my head to the side and feel my eyebrows furrow. And within seconds Echo grabs my arm and pulls me rather harshly. I try to pull away but she's much stronger than me and before I can process anything else I'm shoved into a room. I can hear the door close and quickly I turn and meet Echo's eyes seeing her standing tall. 

"Echo? What the hell?" I say, clenching my jaw honestly questioning how I get into these situations. 

"I need information," she simply said. Her eyes remaining locked on mine. 

"I-Information? About what?" I look back and forth between the girl's eyes only for her to do the same. She stays silent as do I. My mind starts rolling as it has been since she said she needed information. Information about what is beyond me! Why would she need information from me? Of all people, me! I'm not a great source like at all- 

"About your commander." Echo's voice is low and I'm confused by her choice of words. I take a step back clenching my jaw. 

"What? Isn't she your commander?" Echo stands up taller, her eyes still switching back and forth between my own. 

"Right..." She pauses and nods. "Where is she holding Prince Roan?" 

"Wha- I don't know. Echo you're-" I stop talking as the brown eyed girl looks away from me and looks around the room. "Echo shouldn't you know? You are a grounder under the wing of the commander-" 

"Right. What do you know about Lexa?" I shiver at Lexa's name coming from Echo's lips. I hated it. I never really heard anyone under Lexa call her by her name. It's either the commander or Heda. But not Lexa. 

"What do you m-mean?" 

"You two have spent a lot of time together..." I tilt my head to the side before shrugging my shoulders. 

"Yeah okay...I'm going t-to go now." I start walking towards Echo and pass her only to feel her grab me and pin me to the wall. Her forearm presses firmly against my chest making it a bit harder to breathe. But no words are spoken between the two of us. Instead she lets go and I relax a moment as she takes a step back.