twenty five >>> fightback

Silence fills the room as I sit and draw in my sketchbook

Silence fills the room as I sit and draw in my sketchbook. My eyes barely lift up from the sketch as my hand makes line after line and even smooth out some pieces with my fingers. When I do look up my eyes are met with a sleeping Lexa who fell asleep with a book in her hand.

We got back early this morning after last night Clarke had come back. She basically said what I said, but she doesn't know about Pike nor what I want to do. Lexa and I decided it'd be best to keep it private. Nobody else has to know but us. And yeah, we probably shouldn't do it, but I can't ignore the fact of what he did. And that takes back to what I said about peace...I know. But there will be. Nobody else has to pay but Pike. He's not a good person. At least from my perspective he's not.

A gasp escapes into the air and my eyes lift up to see Lexa jumping up awake. Quickly I get up placing my journal down and getting to the couch. I place one of my hands on Lexa's lap and my other hand on her back, rubbing it slowly in circles.

"It's just a bad dream," I say gently. Lexa buries her face in the palm of her hands shaking her head.

"No, it's the past commanders talking to me," Lexa says, picking up her head. Our eyes meet one another's and I tilt my head to the side. "They're angry."

"Why? Because you're doing what's right?" I question continuing to make circles on her back. But Lexa shakes her head once more.

"They're angry I'm not living by our code. Jus drien jus daun-" Lexa pauses briefly looking away a moment before looking back to me. "It's always been our people's way dating back to the very first commander. They think I'm failing them with going through with this."

I shake my head and grab both of Lexa's hands into my own. "You're not failing anybody, Lexa. You're making change. It's what we all need to make sure we all don't die."

"Maybe-"

"No Lexa. You're scared, worried. But jus drien jus daun is their legacy...Your legacy will be peace." Lexa looks away from my eyes and stands, grabbing the book she dropped. She closes it and walks to where I was seated. She stands there, her eyes focused on my drawing of her. "It's not...finished."

We look to one another for a few seconds. I give her a small smile before several rapid knocks appear on the door. Lexa nods and places my journal down.

"Enter," she speaks up walking a little towards the door. I close the journal and stand up facing the door to find Titus entering.

"Pardon me Heda," he says. He says something else but I don't bother to listen. Instead I focus on the box three other grounders bring in. I walk up to Lexa and tilt my head but could feel Titus' lingering, daggering eyes on me. Before anyone could speak however the door opened once more. All of our eyes go to the door spotting Clarke coming in. She looks back and forth between me and Lexa.

"What's going on?" She questions walking over and standing beside me. I point to the box looking to Clarke. Her eyes look to it then to me, then to Lexa.