XXIX

Lancelot marched into the castle grounds with Gusion and Guinevere following behind him. The servants scrambled to greet the three. Guinevere could see the surprise and awe in their eyes.

"Where's the king?" Lancelot asked the head of the servants.

"His Majesty is currently meeting with the captain of the royal guards in the throne room, Your Highness" The woman replied.

"I am so pleased to see you and the princess finally back home, Your Highness." She added.

Lancelot and Guinevere smiled and thanked her before they proceeded to the throne room. Once they arrived, The king and the captain instantly stopped talking to each other to turn to them.

"Do my eyes deceive me? Are you both back?" The king chuckled in glee but Guinevere noticed the crack in his voice.

He looked so pale and fragile. His shoulders were slumped and his voice lacked the usual power in it.

"We're here, father." Lancelot replied and bowed before him.

Guinevere curtsied and Gusion followed their lead.

"I'm actually glad you've been stubborn  Guinevere." The king said with a small chuckle.

Guinevere looked up at him in confusion.

"You've brought your brother home."

She smiled and nodded.

"If I'm not mistaken, this young man with you is a Paxley." The captain commented.

Gusion cleared his throat, "That's correct but I do not side with my family. They have banished and disowned me."

The king and the captain looked at each other while Guinevere looked at Gusion.

"He would like to help us with this crisis." Lancelot added.

The king nodded, "I'll be needing all the help I can get."

"Since the princess has returned, the war may not push through." The captain said making Guinevere stiffen.

"What are you suggesting?" Lancelot asked.

"We'll have to keep our promise to the Paxleys and have her marry into their family." The captain said so confidently as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"My sister is a person. Not some item to trade off." Lancelot spat.

Guinevere flinched at his tone and she could see that the captain was taken aback as well. Lancelot rarely raised his voice to anyone.

"Father. Their family thinks that the use of weapons and swords are for the weak and they only value magic. That's a mockery to our family's legacy. It's the main reason Gusion was banished." Lancelot said.

The king raised his brow and glanced at the brunette.

"It's true, Your Majesty." Gusion said.

Guinevere watched and stayed silent. She couldn't grasp the reality that she might really end up marrying into the Paxley family.

"Their proclamation of war is a mockery bigger than that. The Baroque clan is done for if we do not appease with them." The captain pointed out.

Lancelot shot him a glare.

"Are you willing to sacrifice your daughter's happiness, then?" Lancelot asked their father who looked at him solemnly.

Guinevere kept a straight face when the king turned to her.

"She should be well aware of the duties a princess must do. Her happiness is next to the peace and security of her subjects." He replied.

Guinevere felt her heart drop. As much as she hated it, her father was correct. She squeezed her eyes shut and bowed her head in defeat. Lancelot stared at their father in disbelief before turning to his sister.

His heart cracked at the sight. Guinevere's usual proud and confident posture was replaced with something utterly vulnerable.

"I know my duties. I'll do as they wish. I'll be marrying the heir of the Paxley family." Guinevere announced.

Gusion turned to her in shock while Lancelot cursed under his breath.

"A wise and commendable decision, Your Highness." The captain commented which only angered Lancelot.

"The family clearly has the tendency to be violent. You're keen on giving away your only daughter to them?" Lancelot asked their father out of desperation.

He hated the idea of his sister having to endure this heavy task. This was her life.

"As long as we don't give them the permission to be, she will be alright." The king answered.

Lancelot gaped at the old man before him. Now what?

The king cleared his throat before turning to the captain.

"I'm giving you the task of sending this news to the Paxleys."