XXX

A knock on her door broke her out of her thoughts. Guinevere placed the butterfly hair clip on her table before telling the person to enter. Lancelot entered her room while she gave him a small smile.

"Hey..." she greeted softly.

"Why did you agree with it?" Lancelot asked as he stood in front of her.

Guinevere let out a long sigh before getting up from her chair to sit on her bed instead.

"It's the only way."

Lancelot shook his head before he walked over to her to sit next to her.

"You know that's not true."

Guinevere smiled and shrugged, "Let me rephrase that," she then turned to him, "I feel like it's the only way I can correct my mistakes. This war is my doing."

Lancelot sighed and shook his head, "It kills me that I wasn't able to get you out of this trouble. What about Granger?"

Guinevere stiffened before she looked down on her hands, "What about him?"

"Come on, Gwen. I know you love him. You looked so happy whenever you're with him."

She shook her head, still not looking at him, "It doesn't matter. My happiness comes next to the security of my subjects."

Lancelot stared at her for a while before he sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Your happiness matters to me. I hope you know that. We can always figure something out." Lancelot said to her gently.

Guinevere couldn't help the tears that stung her eyes, making her green eyes misty. She then turned to him with a sad smile. Lancelot's heart wretches at the view.

"You're an amazing brother, you know that? You've always showed me that you love me." She whispered to him as her voice cracked.

Lancelot sighed and pulled her to him, wrapping her in a warm embrace to which she clung to. The tears rolled down her cheeks shamelessly but she didn't care. She can always be vulnerable with Lancelot.

"Of course, you're my baby sister. No matter how old you become, you'll always be my baby sister." He whispered to her as he stroke her brown hair.

Guinevere smiled and buried her face into his shirt. Lancelot stayed with her until she stopped crying and fell asleep. He gently tucked her in her bed before he stood to leave.

He was walking towards the door when he saw the butterfly hair clip on her table. He sighed and glanced at his sister one last time before he exited her room.

He'll have to resort to his back up plan. There's no way in hell he's letting his sister suffer.

~•°•~

Guinevere stared at her reflection before her as her lady in waiting smoothened the skirt of her gown. Her hair was back to its natural strawberry blonde color and was styled so elegantly with gems.

She looked breathtaking but her lack of smile made her look miserable instead.

"Would you like me to place this on your hair instead, Your Highness?" The servant asked, snapping Guinevere out of her reverie.

She looked to what the girl was pointing to only to see the hair clip Granger bought for her.

"No. I'm reserving that for a far more special occasion." Guinevere replied.

Her lady in waiting nodded and proceeded on opening the door for her.

"After you, Princess."

Guinevere sighed and walked over to her. The Paxleys will be arriving today for the grand meeting and engagement party. She looked around the throne room to look for Gusion, knowing that this might greatly affect him since he'll be seeing his former family.

Gusion gave her a small wave once she spotted him standing with one of the royal advisers. Guinevere gave him a worried look to which he immediately understood and gave her a reassuring nod.

Guinevere cracked a small smile before she sat on the throne designated for her. After a few minutes, Lancelot arrived and gave her a wide smile to which she tried to return.

"You look gorgeous as ever. I'm almost certain that brat of a sister I have has morphed into a decent human this time." Lancelot commented as he sat down on the throne next to her.

Guinevere rolled her eyes, "You're lucky I love you or else you're six feet under ground right now."

Lancelot chuckled and Guinevere followed.

"There it is. Smile, sis. You look much better with it." He pointed out.

Guinevere shrugged, "Given the circumstances it's hard to keep my smile."

Lancelot paused and nodded in understanding.

A few moments later, their father entered the room which hushed everyone and gave him a bow. The siblings stood and both bowed to him as well.

"The Paxley family has arrived!" The royal announcer's voice echoed throughout the room that Guinevere felt her heart quicken.

Gusion looked over to the double doors as it opened and in came two men and one woman. Gusion's mother and father with his brother, Gareth.

Guinevere kept her chin up as they marched in. She didn't like the way the king looked at her and how the queen seemed to criticize her with her steel grey eyes.

Both families paid respect to each other before Gusion's father spoke.

"I am pleased to see the princess back home where she belongs."

Lancelot frowned and instinctively stepped closer to Guinevere who kept a straight face.

"I am as pleased as you are. I'm glad you accepted our invitation."

The queen smiled, "Oh we've been eager to meet our future daughter in law for a long time now. We couldn't say no."

Guinevere fiddled with her fingers and gave her a nod as she looked her way, "I'm pleased to finally meet you, Your Majesty."