Chapter 3

III

September 2042

Her farm was beyond saving.

Diana Seelix sat in her living room weeping uncontrollably. She had sold what remained of her labors to another farmer in Cherokee. The man had been gracious enough to offer her to stay in the house for as long as she needed to until she got back on her feet. But it was too close and too painful to stay.

Twice now in her life, she had worked for something bigger than herself and twice it had been ripped away from her by forces beyond her control. At the Earth age of forty-eight, she was at a crossroads and every way she looked the roads seemed like dead ends. She was emotionally beaten from the fight with the drought. She didn't remember feeling this hopeless even when sitting in a prison cell on the Astral Queen.

Yet everywhere she looked beyond Cherokee she saw and read about old shipmates from Galactica who had gone on to greater Glory. Lee Adama and Kara Thrace-Bond were getting ready to take the biggest Battlestars ever into space; Louis Hoshi owned UED; Admiral Karl Agathon, another name from the past that was married to a hated Cylon was flying his own Battlestar; that Cylon Admiral Galen Tyrol was still The Boss of building the UED Fleet; Brendan "Hotdog" Costanza was President of New Caprica; and that Cylon bitch Caprica Baltar was now military adviser to both the New Caprican and American leaders in dealing with the drought.

The success and the glory they had earned during the war in 2027 ate at her. The success of the humanity had filled her with pride. But the fact that Cylons like Saul Tigh, Galen Tyrol, and Athena Agathon were seen as heroes after the war was beyond her comprehension. Why should those THINGS that tried to destroy humanity be considered heroes on Earth? She simply couldn't understand it. But then again she couldn't differentiate between a Galen Tyrol or Saul Tigh-men who had never wavered in their devotion to the Fleet- and someone like Cavil or Doral. She simply didn't see any individual differences.

She slept fitfully that last night in her farmhouse. The next morning about 7 am, she had packed what little she wanted to take with her in her hydrogen-powered SUV and headed toward New Caprica. Maybe she could find something there. Right now she had no plan except to get to Sioux City. From there, she'd let the gods do as they would with her.

She had curiously never been to the Capitol so she wanted to scout it out for a while. She walked around the downtown district seeing all the shops, businesses, restaurants and government buildings that peppered the area. It wasn't a bad looking town she thought with some surprise. It was actually quite nice. She thought it would actually be much bigger.

She had stopped for lunch at a mom and pop cafe and ate some wonderful original Caprican cuisine that took her back to much simpler and happier times. The meal energized her and she left feeling better about the world.

She had been window shopping for about twenty minutes and was starting to head towards the Capitol Building that housed the New Caprican Senate when she noticed the piece of paper on a nearby light pole.

PEOPLE OF NEW CAPRICA: No one can blame the government for the weather. But they are betraying humanity by allowing a CYLON to order Human Beings around in trying to beat this drought. Humanity has fought four wars against the Cylons. WHY are we letting one of them tell Humans what to do?

Seeing the word "CYLON" in that fashion enraged her once again. Why ARE we letting a Cylon tell us what to do, she fumed in her mind. But that was the reason why she was in the Capitol city: she wanted to see if she could somehow make contact with whoever was putting out the fliers.