Chapter 18

XVIII

Ensign Price now floored the accelerator on the Malibu. He figured after the Freeway turned westward towards Nebraska, the subject would slow, and he felt this was his chance to gain ground. He looked out of his rear-view and could see two SCPD cruisers about a quarter mile behind him.

_______________________________________________

The National Highway was turning West and Seelix wanted to get across the Missouri, Just another minute or two, and then she hoped she could somehow outrun everyone in the more open spaces of Nebraska. The car was now due West and...

"Holy shit", she breathed. There were at least four police cars directly in front of her in her lanes, and a Raptor parked across the lanes on the eastbound side. She had slowed down, and now a black Chevy Sedan was racing in behind her, and two more police cruisers on the tail of that car.

She had nowhere to go.

________________________________________________

"Draw weapons, gentlemen", Louis Hoshi commanded from the front passenger seat of the Malibu. The other three in the vehicle did just that. Justin Bond's left shoulder was in agony, but the bleeding had subsided and he pulled the Sig Sauer that he had taken from the dead Home Guard Sergeant out. He had been a pilot, but had been trained in ground combat, all those years ago in the Air Force. He knew the drill.

_________________________________________________

Hera and Tony were out of their Raptor, each behind a missile pod on either side of their ship for cover. Mutt Agathon looked to her left and saw a phalanx of South Sioux City police officer behind the doors of their cruisers, weapons at the ready.

_________________________________________________

"All units in the vicinity of the Red Pickup", Hoshi broadcast, "take her alive if you can, but use deadly force if necessary."  He looked back at Justin Bond who was behind the driver. The former President nodded.

_________________________________________________

12:17, U.S. Bank, 5th Street

Narcho could see his car out to his right, in the parking lot in front of the Library. No police were yet on the scene, but he could hear they were getting closer. Godsdammit, you idiot, you should have gone straight for your car! He was dead if he stayed where he was, he could sense that now, and he was probably dead if he headed for his car. Well, might as well die on the move.

He went back out of the front entrance of the bank and headed at a sprint to his vehicle in the Library parking lot. He had just gotten to the driver's side door and opened it when he heard a very familiar voice shout at him.

"FREEZE, ALLISON!"

He glanced to the right corner of the Library by 6th street. My God, it's Helo and his Cylon bitch of a wife! Narcho squatted down behind the door of his pickup, "Frack you, Agathon! We should have killed you and your Cylon wife during the coup!"

"You've got nowhere to go, Noel", Helo said in that choir boy voice of his, "you can still live through this."

"Why the hell should I want to live in a world where we make heroes of Cylons, for god's sake! You never learned that Karl; they're all liars and murderers!"

"Says the guy who has helped kill dozens of Human Beings today", Athena yelled back at a man who was once her colleague.

"You shut the frack up, skin job! You don't deserve to live!"