Chapter 12

XII

THURSDAY, JANUARY 9TH, 2044

12:05 AM, Offutt Air Force Base

Tia Morilio had been watching some TV and wasn't quite ready to go to bed. In fact, she felt her stomach grumbling a bit and wanted to head down to the 24/7 mess to grab a late-night snack before turning in. She had a busy morning planned.

She headed out into the hallway and turned right out of her quarters for the 2-minute walk to the mess. She was dressed in khaki pants and a sleeved green t-shirt, apparently without a care in the world. She was calmly going over in her mind how she would carry out her mission against Hera Agathon and also try to escape at the same time. She had pretty much worked that out.

As she turned left around the next corner, she saw two MP's headed her way, their M4A1's in front of them in the muzzle down position as was standard practice. She saw the MP's all the time, all over the compound and paid them no real notice. Then their weapons tilted up towards a neutral position and they were both looking straight at her.

Her military training kicked in at that moment as reflexively as simply breathing. She had a new-issue Warrior Pistol in its holster on her right side. She had thought of whipping the weapon out when they had moved more aggressively toward her, but that would only create suspicion. That's the last thing they wanted.

"Lieutenant Morilio, will you come to us to General Pember's office, please?"

"Why? What is this about?".

"The General will explain when we get there", the male MP added. "For now, can you surrender your weapon?"

She knew the drill, and without any further protest, she gave them the holster and they led her to The Boss's office.

_____________________________________________________

2:00 AM Eastern Time, Aboard the Battlestar Winston Churchill.

Admiral Agathon was in his quarters with his family when the computerized phone chirped at him. He picked up after the first ring.

"Admiral Agathon", he said with tense formality in his voice.

"Admiral, this is General Pembers at Offutt", the man said urgently. "I'm calling to let you know that a short while ago, our MP's detained Lieutenant Morilio. Two MP's brought her to my office and I had someone from The Bureau in there with me. They informed her they had some questions for her and nothing else."

Karl breathed a small sigh of relief. "Find out anything about the SUV?"

The General rustled a few papers in front of him. "Found out this vehicle is owned by one Tomas Sands, who was last on the grid in Sioux City about a year ago and fell off. He's from Earth, which is all we really have right now. No other information yet."

"So by all accounts, it's not Fantasma's car, is it?"

"It definitely isn't her vehicle. The VIN's don't match up, Admiral."

"With your permission, General, I'd like to keep Lieutenant Agathon here until morning. It's been a long day for her, and I'd rather her try to get a good night's sleep instead of flying down this late."

"Permission granted, Admiral", feeling slightly awkward granting permission to an officer of higher rank, but understanding why the Admiral had asked. "I think it might be safer for her at the moment. We'll be interrogating her all night long and when I have more info, I'll call, oh, around 7 am if that's OK with you, sir."