Chapter 25 Home

Special Thanks to Ferith12 and Dimensional Phaser for helping with grammar and fixing some of the words in this chapter.

Neurie

I squinted as I woke to the bright sunlight resting upon my face. 'Today should be the day we return home as long as everything goes according to plan,' I realized. 'But for this to work, we need Ronde to stay as a dragon until we're close enough to Afri.'

'Speaking of which, where is my son? Did he ever return from reuniting with his Dragon family?'

I got out of bed and changed into my casual clothes. Once my boots were on, I gently step out into the hallway. By the sound of it, everyone was still asleep. 'I guess I'll just have to wait for the others, but it shouldn't be too long now.'

My eyes drift to the other end of the hallway and saw that the latch was hanging wide open, letting in the occasional ocean spray. 'Why would any sane person leave it open? We could have attracted bugs! Ew, just the thought of those things being anywhere near me makes my skin crawl.'

I quickly climb up the ladder resting on the wall next to the latch and almost close it when I see something on the far edge of the afterdeck. I squint my eyes to try to get a better idea of what it was. It was purple, whatever it was...wait. I realize with a pang in my chest that it was Ronde's sleeping form.

I am happy to see him, but upset because he's sleeping outside again. He should know that there's plenty of space for him inside this ship.

I had climb up towards the upper deck, I need to see if he was even on top of the ship. He needs to know what's happening today and my plan to return home and if everything goes correctly the 2-day trip will turn into a 12-hour sail. We should be home before sunset.

As I am walking towards him I notice that he was sleeping in a very odd way. He is curled up and using his wings to cover the area around his stomach. AsI got closer, I noticed something around his stomach, the figure almost looked like a person's head.

That's when I notice it is a person but it isn't anyone from our group. It's a girl with a light brown complexion sleeping on him. Where did she come from?

Suddenly my weight caused the floorboards under me to shift.

...Creeeeek...

Before I could even react to the sound of the floor creaking dueto my weight, my son's eyes shot open and he bolted up, looking in my general direction. His eyes slits and his fangs showing, I am a little bit scared when I see him like this. Does she not recognize me?

Suddenly I see him yawn then he rub his eyes, "Good morning mother...what are you doing up so early?"

I can't find the words to say to him.

"Oh, did I scare you? Sorry, it's a little bit of instinct to look threatening when I wake up when I hear a noise."

"No it wasn't that," I lie, "What is with that girl next to you?"

He and I both look at the girl and it looks like she is waking up. Once her eyes are open, she looks up towards Ronde, "...Right, that wasn't a dream. I'm really away from my tribe. And you came to rescue me," she lays her hand on Ronde's snout, "Thank you."

"I didn't rescue you. You wanted to leave so I... don't really remember."

The girl's eyes widen then she backs away from him but in the process, she trips over his tail and lands on her back. She rubs the back of her head and gets up off the floor, "I completely forgot you can talk, that means I really wasn't dreaming after all. But this is good. I'm finally free from the shackles of my home! I can't thank you enough."