Sunday December 6th

Apparently going to church every Sunday in December was suddenly a huge deal. Such a huge deal that we almost had an argument over it in the morning. And by we I mean Stefan and Damon.

"Vampires are literally said to be demons coming from hell, and you want to go to church to get the blessing of the lord. You are fucking pathetic if you think he can do something to make your poor life less miserable, Stefan." Damon huffed.

"We are not going because I need to be blessed or you need to be blessed. We are going because we used to go. Because Christmas is that one time at year where we are actually capable of forgiving us selves and each other for what we have done. We are going because it makes us human!" Stefan yelled.

"You can go, Stefan. I won't stop you. But I'm not going. I don't need this. I don't need a stupid church or a stupid blessing. And I certainly don't need his judgement." Damon turned around to go to his room. Stefan looked at me briefly, before turning his head back, biting his lip and then opening his mouth to say something.

"Then do it for Luna."

Damon stopped walking when he heard the words.

"Going to church every once in a while was important to her parents. So you could at least do it for her."

My gaze shot for the floor and tears welled up in my eyes. Damon turned around and I felt his eyes on me.

"You two should go," Damon said. "Enjoy the preaching."

Then he disappeared. Stefan hugged me, gave me a compliment for my dress. The dress that I wore to my mother's funeral.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I didn't mean for this to happen."

"I know," I said. "We should go."

So we went to church, took a few seats and waited for the thing to start. I looked around every now and then to see if Damon had shown up. He never did.

The original plan was to go home afterwards, chill and then go to the Mystic Falls tree illumination ceremony. But Stefan and I were both dying to avoid Damon and his temper, so Stefan invited me out for lunch. When we were at the grill, I noticed that I didn't have my wallet on me.

"I forgot my wallet in the church," I told Stefan. "Can't you just order me something? I'll be back soon."

"I can pay," he said.

"Thanks but I should go get it anyways."

I jogged to the church. Luckily people rarely got robbed in mystic falls and my wallet was right where I left it. I walked into the church, hearing the familiar voice fill the room.

"Bless me father, for I have sinned," Damon's voice sounded and I listened as he spoke.

"My last confession was years ago. Many years."

"Tell me, son," the priest said.

"I only have one confession to share with you father. I don't think my sin is very big, but I need someone to hear it." Damon's voice became my fragile and shook with the words.

"There is this girl, Luna. I love her. I truly do. But I am neglecting her. She is an orphan. Her mother died in March, her father a month later. They were having relationship issues, but that is out of context. The thing is," he said. "Her mother was like a mother to me as well. She took care of me like no other had ever done. She gave me all the comfort that I need. She even called me son."

He sobbed and I was paralyzed. Unable to move.

"I miss her so much, but I can't tell Luna. This is her first year without her parents. I have to be there for her and I haven't. I let her down and that is my sin. I've done things to hurt her, that is my sin. So forgive me father for I have sinned."

Damon sniffled. I grabbed my wallet and quietly walked towards the exit.

"Give thanks to the lord for he is good," the priest said.

"For his mercy endures forever," Damon said. I left quickly, jogging back to the grill.

"That took long," Stefan said. I brushed it off, saying that I couldn't find the wallet. I was quiet throughout the entire lunch, I couldn't stop thinking about what Damon had said. Stefan noticed but didn't question me about it.

When we were done eating, he and I went to help with the tree decoration. Many of the citizens had shown up to participate. We decorated the tree together and later in the afternoon, when it was dark outside, people started showing up for the tree illumination. Damon showed up.

"There's Damon. We should go to him," I said and ran to Damon, hugged him and he smiled a bit, resting his head on mine.

Liz Forbes stepped onto the stage that had been put up and gave her usual speech about friendship, family and citizenship, and then they illuminated the tree. We all cheered and I hugged Damon tighter. I looked at Stefan and smiled. I was happy.