Sunday December 20th

"If you don't wanna go, it's fine. I'll go by myself. You can stay," I said as I watched Stefan struggle to gather enough mental strength to get up from the bed and tie his tie. He shook his head. Said that he promised me that he'd go. That he'd keep his word. And so he got up and continued to struggle. I was already done getting dressed. Had been for hours.

"Maybe I should drive?" I suggested. I had no driver's license, but Damon had taught me everything I needed to know, and he had compelled (or killed) every officer who stopped us on the road to see the license that I didn't have.

Stefan nodded reluctantly, not liking to admit that it wasn't safe for him to drive his own car. I rubbed his shoulder blades gently.

"Are you sure that you're up for this?" I asked. He nodded again and once he was ready to go, we went to church.

We found our usual seats, although this time everything felt significantly more empty, due to the lack of Damon's presence. I felt empty.

The pianist started playing the well-known songs and the priest recognized me among the crowd. Five minutes into the ceremony, the doors opened and in walked the man that I had been longing to see for the past few days. Damon.

He was walking with quick steps, flattening his tux before reaching our row.

"Damon?" I asked in confusion. I had never in my wildest dreams dared to hope he'd be here today.

"I didn't think you'd come," I said.

"I never miss church." He said somewhat sarcastically. I smiled a little. He took a seat beside me.

"Brother," Damon mumbled as a greeting to Stefan. Stefan took a deep breath and said Damon's name to return the greeting.

"I'm sorry tha-,"

"Shush! Pay attention." Damon said cutting me off. I shut my mouth and didn't dare to say another word. Once the ceremony finished, we all drove home in silence.

"Damon-," I tried once again, but Damon cut me off with a lifted finger. I sighed and stayed quiet. When we walked into the house, Damon mentioned for me to sit on the couch and I obeyed him.

H went to the kitchen and came back after 5 minutes with two mugs of hot chocolate. He placed them on the table in front of us and took a seat beside me.

"I did some soul searching," he started. "Wondered what my momma would tell me if she was here, and what your momma would tell me if she was here."

"And what would they say?" I asked and looked at him.

"Hush." He said. "I need you to stop interrupting me when I speak, because I'm prepared right now. I know exactly what to say and when, and if you start asking questions then I'll mess up and freak out."

I smiled a little and nodded.

"So I came to the conclusion that both our mother's would provide comfort first, then tell me to sit down, make you your favorite drink and talk it all out. Explain what I feel. So here goes." He said. "The fact that you repeatedly accused me of killing your drama teacher when I repeatedly told you no hurt me. You usually believe me when I explain myself, but you were very hostile towards me and I didn't like that. I am aware that I am a qualified suspect as I am reckless and homicidal and ruined inside, but I'm telling you, I didn't kill your teacher and I didn't ruin your show."

He took a deep breath and looked at me.

"This is the part where you say whatever you wanna say." He chuckled nervously. I smiled a little and considered what I actually wanted to say.

"When you said no the first time, I had the feeling that you were telling the truth. And when you walked away from the car, I had no doubt." I said. "I'm sorry that I upset you. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just denied the fact that a possible serial killer or another vampire could be roaming the city and creating terror in the middle of Christmas. I'm sorry."

He looked at me, smiled, wrapped his arm around me and pulled my closer so I was leaning on his shoulder.

"You're forgiven, kiddo." He said. I smiled and we both took a sip of our hot chocolate.

"Do you miss her?" I asked, not having to say what I meant. He got it.

"More than you know."

I doubted that it was true but I let it rest. I looked at him.

"I'm glad you're home Damon," I said and smiled. He smiled a little. Told me to go to bed. It was a school night after all. So I went to Stefan's bedroom and said that I was going to bed. Asked if he was joining, which he was. I fell asleep before Stefan.