Chapter 11: New Life

The ride back to Earth was unbearably uncomfortable. The silence, the quiet muffled sobs, the concerned looks wandering everywhere, and the zoned out people, trying to forget what just happened.

But no one could ever forget, even if they tried. I tried to do everything. Going to Steve's support groups, working out with Natasha, mourning with Thor, and dealing with the government with Rhodey.

It's been four months and nothing made it better, and I couldn't take it. Tony left to move on with Pepper, Thor was gone for a while, and I don't know where he went. Rocket and Carol were back in space, taking care of everyone struggling out there.

I was sitting in my room, sitting on the floor, zoning out into space. I was wearing Pietro's sweatshirt, something I would rarely take off nowadays. I was sitting in the dark, being comforted by the silence, and the peace, something that doesn't happen often.

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw the door open in the corner of my eye, and a light now shining through my room. I see Steve standing in the doorway, looking at me with concern.

He closes the door behind him, the darkness returning, and Steve sits down next to me. We were silent for a moment, absorbing everything that was about to happen, and I could tell I was going to get a Steve speech.

"You know, not talking in the support group isn't going to help," Steve says, breaking the silence.

"I don't talk about my feelings, it's not how I work," I say.

"It's only going to get worse if you don't talk. The whole reason for it is to talk about your experience in the situation, and people going through the same thing can relate to you," he says.

"People shouldn't have to relate to me. I don't need anyone else giving me pity looks and feel bad for me," I say.

"Then how are you going to deal with this?" Steve asks.

Alone. That's how I've always dealt with my problems. I don't tell Steve that, but just lay my head on his shoulder. I just want to start a new life... Maybe I could.

Steve left after he said that he promised to train with Natasha. That's when I got to thinking. Maybe I could move on if I start a new life. Get away from the place that reminds me too much of the people I miss.

I got out my laptop, and searched plane tickets to anywhere, just somewhere far away, and the sooner I could leave. I found a flight that I would need to leave in an hour for to Chelyabinsk in Russia. I bought the ticket, erased the memory of my laptop and started to pack light.

I packed the essentials and some clothes to start new. I made sure to keep some of Pietro's sweatshirts in the drawers, even though I didn't want to, to move on, but I did bring some with me. I rummage through all of my fake passports I have used over the years, and decided to pick Mila Ivanov.

I pulled out a pen and paper, and decided to write Natasha a note, knowing that she would come into my room to get me to work out with her.

Dear Natasha,

I decided to leave, don't ask me where, or anyone else because no one knows I'm doing this. I want to say first that if I could move on and still be with all of you, I would. I tried for four months and nothing has changed for me. I need a new environment, people, life to help me move forward.

I can't take the job as an Avenger, Earth's heroes/supporters, without knowing I can come home feeling happy when all I can feel is more pressure to make sure no one dies on my watch.

I would say don't go looking for me, but I know you, and you won't stop looking. Just understand, I need time, all of us do. What just happened is a life changing thing, and we all need to learn how to deal with it.

Love, your sister

I wiped the tears that flew down my face that I didn't know were there. I don't want to leave Nat, but this is what is best. I put the letter on my made bed, and grabbed my bag. I left anything Natasha could track me with. My phone, my suit, or anything else electronic.

The only thing I kept was my credit card. I got to the garage and took my motorcycle, and drove to the airport. I got there and parked. I entered the airport, and went through security successfully.

I then went to an ATM machine, and got $300 in cash. Once that was complete, I took my credit card and broke it in half, and threw them and my keys in the trash. I heard the announcements call my flight number, so I went onto the plane.

I found my seat and I was lucky it was the window seat. I sink in, and take a deep breath.

Here starts my new life.