Chapter 13: Hopes

I agreed. I don't think it's going to work, but I knew Steve wouldn't leave without me. It was a long flight back to New York. At first it was extremely awkward, but then we started to catch up on the past 5 years. Even though I didn't want to admit it, it was good catching up with an old friend.

We officially landed at the base, and I couldn't get out of my seat. Will Natasha be mad at me? Will she even want to see me? I probably messed up our whole sister relationship. My thoughts were interrupted by a hand on my shoulder and I saw Steve. "Everything will be okay," he says.

I nod, and got up out of my seat, and walked into the familiar building. We walked into the lab where I saw a huge contraption and a bunch of people. I see Clint, and Scott, who I haven't seen in 7 years. Then I see Natasha, Tony, and Rocket.

What really surprised me was seeing Thor, very much out of shape, and Bruce, or the Hulk. "Uh, why is no one freaking out that Green is green?" I whisper to Steve.

"He combined Bruce and Hulk together. No more freak outs," he says, and I nod in understanding even though it's still confusing.

Natasha and I made eye contact, and I couldn't read her emotions. I couldn't tell if she was happy, angry, sad or just didn't feel anything at all. She walked up to me, and I expected her to slap me across the face. But what surprised me is she embraced me in a hug.

I took a deep breath, and hugged back, feeling the familiar warmth of being back home. We didn't say anything, but I knew she was hurt about what happened, but glad I was back. And honestly, I was glad to be back with her too.

I felt out of place here now, though. This place just reminds me of everyone that's gone. The movie nights, the training sessions, the dinners, the games, everyone being happy. I was never happy here after the... incident. I may not be happy now, but at least I have moved on with my life.

They let me walk to my old room, and it was exactly how I was when I left it, besides the letter. I ran my hand over my covers that haven't been changed, and sat down on the soft bed.

It was all too much. The stares, the fake smiles, everyone evolving, everything reminding of the people we lost. Everything that I felt 5 years ago came crashing back, and I broke. This is the whole reason why I left. I needed a place, a life that wouldn't always remind me because that I lost, half of the universe suffered, and I lost people I never thought I would have to live without.

My breath started to become heavy, and my vision started to blur. My hands started to become clammy, and I felt like there was no more oxygen left in the room, and I was trapped in my own guilt.

I hear the door open, footsteps towards me and a pair of arms wrapping around me, trying to comfort me. The arms weren't huge, which ruled out the super soldier, so I automatically knew it was Nat.

I leaned into her warmth, while trying to steady my breathing, and stop the unwanted water flow that was leaving my eyes. "I'm sorry," I say, shakingly. It was barely audible, but I knew Natasha heard it.

"It's okay. Everything is going to be okay," she whispers, rubbing my back to calm me down. My breaths were slowly steadied, and I stopped crying. "I don't blame you for leaving," she whispers. "You needed to move on."

"Yea, but I should have at least talked to you first. It's kind of rude for me to just leave a letter and go," I say.

"Yea, it was," she says, chuckling, making me giggle lightly. "Did you at least move on?"

I was silent for a moment, trying to comprehend how I want to answer. "No, but I accepted it. Kind of why I didn't really want to do this time travel thing. Don't want to get my hopes up," I say.

"What's wrong with a little hope?" she asks.

"False hope." We were called in to watch Clint hopefully successfully time travel. We were all huddled around the time travel machine. "Are we sure this is going to work?" I whisper to Steve, who was standing next to me. He shrugs lightly and I take a deep breath, hoping nothing bad happens to Clint.

"Alright Clint. We are going in three, two, one," Bruce says, and hit a button, making Clint disappear from the place he was standing. "Alright, we will bring him back in five, four, three two, one."

Suddenly Clint appears crouching on the ground, grunting. We all ran up to him while Natasha said, "Hey, hey, look at me." She helps him back up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," he says panting. He presses a glove onto her chest and says, "it worked. It works." Clint throws the glove to Tony, and he catches it, proud of himself. This could work, we can get them back.

Don't get yourself too excited.