IV Martin

A few minutes later I was standing in my year group while Alicia Tornek chatted in front of us. A mixture of how nice it is to be here and how much she has struggled to get here.

I can trust that, I thought to myself. There are many who would like to be an escort for district 2, which often wins. Then she told me a little about Panem and how beautiful it is that she always does every mowing day.

After a while of her speech, our latest winner Corn Hardbreak came on stage. He was a muscular man and quite young. He won four years ago. He goes and sits down on the only one of the three chairs that were not occupied. To the left of Corn sits our mayor who just stood up and began to tell the story of Panem. But I did not listen anymore because something else had caught my attention. The notes in the girls' glass bowl began to move. Easy, not that it would catch anyone's attention. But only so that a specific note ended up at the top. I stared at the glass bowl, nothing happened to the boys' balls.

- It is a time for both remorse and gratitude, I heard the mayor finish and change the note in the hand. Then he started reading out many winners from District 2, but not until I heard the name:

- Corn Hardbreak! I understood what was happening in the bowl. The regime has a hope that a special girl will be selected, and I thought I know who.

- Now it's time for the draw! Alicia Tornek tweeted and went to the girls' ball. I already knew before the name was called out who would be: Stina Hardbreak.

- Stina Hardbreak! shouted Alicia into a microphone. A girl with a brown dark hair, long tassel and muscular body came up on stage. I knew who it was. She was 15 years old and took a class under me. Stina's anxious ice-blue eyes under her long eyelashes met her brother. There was a mixture of emotions on her face: determination, fear but also a bit as if she almost knew it because she did not look shocked.

- Volunteers? Alicia asked the children. Many girls raised their hands. Most of them are older than me. Do you want to participate or not, Stina? Stina looked at her brother who gave her a short and determined nod.

- Yes, she replied.

- Good! said Alicia, walking towards the boys' orbs. I saw disappointment in many of the other girls' faces but also relief, I actually did not think that half of them really wanted to be selected. Alicia Tornek rummaged around in the bowl until she got a note. She read a boy's name that I did not understand because the excitement among the boys in my grade was so overwhelming.

- Volunteers? Alicia asked again. I think half of all the boys shouted and raised their hands. But I shouted loudly and first and I saw that Alicia was looking at me.

- How about you in a black jacket, she said and looked more attentively at me. I walked towards the stage. Now it was time that father has wanted for several years I will participate in the 24th hunger games