°1°

The sun above me was a ball of fire blazing in the sky. I ran into the hospital to avoid its harsh ray and made my way to the changing room. I got dressed in my scrub and white coat.

The hospital had its usual smell of blood, bleach and sterility. There was the sound of shoe skidding frantically to get where they need to be, of wheel screeching as someone is rolled into surgery, of keyboard clicking, of phone ringing and of someone yelling or wailing.

I smiled. Today was another day to save lives. I had a dream to become a surgeon. I started my residency program two years ago. This was the third year. I went into one of the patient's room. My smile widened when I saw Clara, my new 10 year old patient. She was having kidney failure but I love this child. She was courageous and a fighter. She never lost hope and I know all her surgeries would be successful. I was praying for her daily.

"Hello, Dr Anita" she put her hands up in the air as she waited for a hug.

I ruffled her hair with my hands, leaned and hugged her. "How are you?"

"Never been better!" she smiled. "Dr Anita, I had a dream".

"Really? What kind of dream?"

"A dream with a princess and a prince," she giggled and clasped my hand in hers. "Do you want to know who the princess is?"

"Cinderella!" I replied with a cocky smile. I was sure of this answer. Her favorite princess was Cinderella.

She produced a click with her tongue in her mouth and shook her head.

"Am I wrong?"

"Yes," she said, flailing her arms in the air. "You are the princess".

"What?"

"Yes!" she nodded. "You always say that you love to save lives that's why you want to be a doctor. In my dream, you were with a prince and you saved your people. Then...you...".

"Then, I what?"

"You kissed the prince. The prince said he likes you and he kissed you....And you got married. The end of my dream!" she said and her lips curved upward as she awaited my reply.

I stared at her with eyes as wide as a pan and sat at the edge of the bed.

You might be wondering why I am staring. Well...how can a young girl be talking about kiss and marriage? What has this world turn into?

Let me not be dramatic. This world is unpredictable. I grinned and chuckled. "Nice dream, Clara!"

"Do you think it will come true?"

I cleared my throat and shrugged.

"But I want it to come true"

"You want me to be a princess?" I lifted a brow.

"Yes! And to marry a prince. Can I come to your wedding?"

"Sure!"

"Your wedding will happen soon, right?"

"Err..."

She sighed and pouted. "But I want to come to your wedding".

"You are invited"

"But your wedding is not happening soon," she whined.

I bit my bottom lip to hold back my laughter. This small girl didn't know who she was talking to. I'm a woman with a big dream. I've spent most of my hours trying to achieve those dreams. I don't have time for relationships....

Okay! That's a lie. I've dated different guys but they just disappointed me so I dumped them. Now I am on a break. I told myself I won't date any person no matter how they beg me to be their girlfriend.