Redemption| five.

Kari declined yet another call. They had been blowing her line up all morning. She threw the grey comforter off of her body. She stood up to stretch and come to her senses.

 Once she realized where she was, she immediately palmed her forehead. Flashbacks of the night before ran thru her mind, she caught herself smiling. 

She picked her clothes up off of the floor before putting them on and walking downstairs to see Kaason stirring something in a pot. 

He was turned away with his back facing the stairs he seemed to be on the phone, they were whispering making Kari clutch her small bag out of awareness.

She cleared her throat to make her presence known, Kaason hurried off the phone and turned towards her.

"I didnt think you were going to get up." He told her. Walking over to the bar that was adjacent to the stove he let the stool out for her. 

She accepted before putting her purse in her lap. She thanked him before taking her phone out and putting it on do not dissturb, she was getting yet another call.

"Why did you think that?" She asked scrolling on her phone. Not noticing him come up behind her and wrap his strong muscular arms around her waist;

"I tend to have that affect on women." He said cockily. It took a minute for Kari to catch on to his little jok but when she did she made sure to pinch him on his arm making him wince.

"Boy please, you was alright." She said not trying to gass him. Truth be told, she hadnt had any in a long time, and he gave her just what she needed.

He just scoffed at her. He handed her her plate and they ate, Kari was impressed because the food was good. She had never met food that good cooked by a man. During that time they also had small talk and mostly joked.

"Please stop calling me!" Kari yelled into the phone. She was at home watching tv and she couldnt focus because all she did was constantly ignore calls from her.

"We need to talk, I need answers." Lydia answered. She had been trying to get them from Brandon but she couldnt, so she thought shed take matters into her own hands.

"Excuse me," Kari was a little taken aback by her choice of words and her tone of voice. Kari didnt owe her anything, not a single thing.

"You need to ask your husband for some answers, stop calling me or I will call the police." Kari threatened.

"Youre probably fucking lying anyways." Lydia said. She was being a little too nosey. It had literally nothing to do with her at all. 

But she felt like she was being lied to and she had to know as his wife. But she was doing it all wrong, her problem was not with Kari, it was with her husband. But you couldnt tell her that.

"Gir- what the fuck do I have to lie for." Kari was fuming with anger. She hung up immediately and put her phone on the table. Rubbing her hands on her temples she closed her eyes. 

Totally overwhelmed with all of the things that were unfolding. She still just couldnt understand why he was out of jail. But she didnt want to talk to him or any of his family.

She picked up her mail off of the table that she picked up after she got home. Flipping through the bills and advertisements she came across an envelope from her grandmother. 

Mama Lucy, her moms paternal grandmother, the only person that cared for her and her mom, and she had custody of her once her mother passed.

Kari smiled down at the envelope with a smile on her face. Images of the little old lady filled her brain. Memories of cooking with her and laughing at her foolish humor. Listening to her gossip about the people at church before saying "God I aint talking bout nobody I'm just talkin bout what I'm talking bout." or "You didnt hear it from me." Kari laughed lightly.