September 1976

"I have a question for you, Mr Prefect," Emily catches up with Remus and interlocks their arms. 

"Emily, it's the first Monday, please don't do this to me," He groans.

"You don't even know what I'm about to ask!"

"You only act all sweet and happy when you want to abuse my Prefect privileges—"

"I don't put my wand to your head, do I? Not exactly forcing you," She pouts.

"Ah, you got me there. What can I say? It's impossible to say no to you," Remus moves quickly, he puts an arm around her shoulders and squeezes her, ruffling her hair in a brotherly manner.

"Stop it!"

The moment they enter the Great Hall her eyes land on Matthew Dumbledore. Emily's steps slow down and her smile vanishes. Remus notices her change right away and his eyes follow hers, finding his best friend seated at the Gryffindor table.

"Moony," She says quietly. "Is it cruel of me to say I wish Matthew would say the same to me?"

"Say what? That he can't say no to you?" A lighthearted chuckle falls from his lips. "I thought you wanted him to get over you?"

Emily opens her mouth to reply, but she doesn't say anything. Remus knows her and Matthew better than they think he does. It's the troubled, distressed stare she gives him that makes him realize the truth.

"Holy shit," He smirks. "You have a crush on him."

Emily groans loudly, she turns around and starts to walk out of the Great Hall, Remus is starving, but he's more interested in knowing when the hell did this happen.

"You know, this isn't my business," He continues, now it's his turn to be the annoying, nosy friend and he'll take full advantage of it. "But if I remember correctly, last time he made a move on you, your exact words were—and I quote— 'How could you do this to me in front of everyone? If you ever do such a foolish thing again I'll kill you.' It was rather brutal..."

"Oh my God," She whines, covering her face. "I'm such an idiot."

"Yeah," He admits casually. "I really don't know how you'll get out of this one. I mean, when you got over James we were all happy for you, and Matthew seemed quite unfazed by it, I think he was trying hard to forget about you too..."

"You think he moved on?" Emily clings onto his arm anxiously, head falling back as she noisily cries in the empty corridor. "It's his fault! We were such good friends and then he had to go ahead and kiss me! I didn't have any confusing feelings until he stood in the way, those charming blue eyes and his shit-eating grin... I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, my parents thought I was sick because I couldn't eat—I couldn't eat, Remus!"

"Dear God, you're gone over him," Remus chortles. "This feels like I fell in the wrong timeline, I can't believe it! Is Lily Evans crushing on James as well now?"

"Oh, don't be stupid," She huffs. "This is serious, Moon, what the hell should I do?"

"How about we go back and have lunch?" The boy guides her back into the hall. "You can tell me about that favour you wanted from me in the first place? It'll keep your mind from Ruddy..."

Emily's on the verge of tears as soon as he mentions it. "I wanted to ask you about Matthew!"

Remus bites his lip in order to hide his smile, he shouldn't find the girl's distress amusing, but Emily's always had a talent for making him laugh even when she's not trying to.

"Alright," He says. "Let's get it over with. What about him?"

"I... I need to know if he still likes me. Even if it's just a little bit... I can't—I won't be able to live in peace unless I find out."