1989-1996

"Did you know," Mel started, "that my mum had me when she was twenty-one?"

Harry looked at her, head hanging upside down, from his place on the couch. 

"Yeah?"

"She's twenty-nine now," The girl continued, she had a chocolate stain on her cheek that Harry hadn't told her about because he thought it was funny.

"I know that," He replied frowning. "What about it?"

"I've been thinking of getting married, once I'm her age..."

"Which age? Twenty-one or twenty-nine?"

"Twenty."

Harry snorted, he rolled over and supported his weight on both arms.

"Okay... And?"

"I want you to be the best man," She grinned, there was a tooth missing on her childish smile. 

"The groom has to pick a best man, you have to pick a bridesmaid," Harry replied.

"But I don't have bridesmaids," Mel huffed. "I have you. If you go and say you're the bride's best man I don't think it matters."

Harry thought about it for a moment, deciding Mel had a good point.

"Alright. And who will you marry?"

"A Prince."

"There are no Princes you're age in England."

"Of course there are!" Mel argued. "Prince William is right there!"

"He's seven years old!" Harry chortled. "You're going to marry someone younger than you just because he's a Prince?"

"Maybe," She said stubbornly. "Princes have the best manners—"

"Something you clearly have to spare—"

"—And I think he's charming!"

"He's seven," Harry replied again as if that waas enough to win the argument.

"You're twenty-six days younger than me," She crossed her arms. "Does that mean you wouldn't marry me?"

Harry looked down at her from his spot on the couch, Mel's gaze was too sharp and calculating for a nine-year-old, but he'd grown used to it with time, it didn't bother him.

"Yeah, it does," He crossed his arms as well, adopting a taunting voice that upsets her every time. "I would never marry you."

Mel was stunned by the declaration, her arms fell to her sides and she opened her mouth a little, not knowing what to answer. When she spoke, her tone was quiet and shy.

"Why?"

Harry knew took the joke too far.

"I..." He tried to think of a way to fix it. "Well, because then I wouldn't be the best man, and you would have no one on your side at the altar."

Luckily for him, this seemed to be a logical response for her.

"Oh," She blinked. "That's true..."

Mel stood up and grabbed her empty plate, she took Harry's as well without asking and went to the kitchen only to come back with another two massive slices of cake.

"Wouldn't you like to marry a Princess, then?" She nudged him until there was enough room in his seat for the both of them.

Harry shrugged, he'd never thought about getting married, and he didn't really care about that part of his life either, it was ages away.