Chapter 5

After the dinner meal yesterday everything went quite quick. Everyones stomach was full and students were tired from the train ride. This morning we started the school year. We Slytherins had transformation with McGonagall and the Hufflepuffs; after that potions with Slughorn and the Ravenclaws. There, I saw Amber but we didn't really had the time to talk.

Now we have a little lunch break. Amber, Nila, Lu and I make our way outside to the courtyard and sit down on one of the benches. "Your brother got into Gryffindor!", Amber said, "aren't you freaked out, shouldn't he be in Slytherin?". I shrug my shoulders: " no not really, I mean it would be nice to have him in my house to be close to him, but I know that in Gryffindor he'll just learn as good. And either way, Prim is there to look after him!", I smile. "Talking 'bout Prim", Lu nodds in a direction and waves towards someone. All our heads turn in the direction: "Hi everyone", Prim says and sits down infront of the bench facing us, "worrying, isn't it? Dumbledore's speech yesterday I mean". I nod. Lu answers Prim: " Ja, I thought about it all night. I mean we should be safe, but our parents? I heard you know who is mass recruiting". I get lost in my thoughts on the letter my parents sent me this morning.

"Our dear Joy,
we hope you and your little brother arrived well at Hogwarts. Keep an eye on him for us would you?
Well now it is important that we come straight to the point. Burn this letter after you've read this my dear. We are not sure of how much you know of the danger you are in. If the Dark Lord finds out about you and your- you know what, he will kill you Joy. Please be safe and don't tell anyone about your powers dear. If anything odd happens that concerns you, send us an owl immediately! Do you hear? About anything that seems a bit off Joy, anything! Your life could depend on it, and ours maybe too. Study well, we love you!
Love,
Mom and Dad"

Suddenly I am taken back to reality again by a snapping in front of my face. „woah sorry", I say confused and the others laugh. "Are you worried Joy?", Lu takes us back to reality. "I'm not sure if I am... but my parents sure are."
"Because of..?", Prim asks and I nod. "Because of what?", Amber looks at me confused. "I can't tell you guys.. I would, but I can't I'm so so-", I tried to finish my sentence but am interrupted by Nila who stands up quite angry: "I'm so sick of you guys keeping these secrets from me... and Amber!", which Amber agrees to with a nod, standing up as well. "Guys, I really want to tell you, but I am not allowed to!", I get up, trying to calm them. "But you told Lu and Prim, what is the difference?", Nila argues. I look to the ground. "Nila please don't be so hard on Joy", Lu now tried to calm the mood, but Nila just rolls her eyes and turns around to leave together with Amber.
Devastated I sit down on the bench again and Lu puts her arm around me: "She'll come around eventually!" For a while we sit there, quietly, when Prim speaks up: "Actually... does Dumbledore know?". My gaze moves to the window of Dumbledore's office, where I see him standing. His eyes lock mine for a second, I look away quite quickly. "I'm not sure..", I say with a confused voice.
A clock strikes 13 o'clock and Prim shrugs her shoulders: "common, classes start again!", she takes my hands to pull me up from the bench.

Days go by and the last signs of summer faded away faster with each leave that falls to the ground and soon it was October 1st.
"Good Morning", I sit down next to Lu and Nila at the Slytherin table, where breakfast is already served. "Morning", Nila mumbled.
Nila calmed down 2 days after the incident in the courtyard, we never really knew what changed her mind as one day she just behaved like nothing ever happened. We didn't really questioned it as we where just happy to have her back.
"What do we have the first hour?", Lu asks while putting a piece of croissant in her mouth. "Care of Magical Creatures", I say enthusiastically, "with Gryffindor", Nila moans in annoyance. "Common, Prim is a Gryffindor!", I softly punch Nila in the side. "Yes but Potter as well!", Lu wiggles her eyebrows at me, which I reverse with a mad face. "Get over this douche bag already", Nila rolls her eyes. "I am!", I say strongly, just to stumble " I mean, I never ever was into him anyway! Pff" and stuff my mouth with cereals. "Have you talked to him ever since the train?", Lu asks curiously. I just shake my head. "Well, class is gonna be fun!", Nila grins.