Chapter 12: Unusual Wave

"Huh, Ms. Norris, they went in that direction", Filch's voice echoed through the hall.
Joy closed her eyes, wishing the moment could be over quickly. Not lying to herself, she knew that she enjoyed being this close to James, but her heart beats fast still raging on all that has happened before.
Filch's steps slowly fade as he got further and further away. Joy takes a look around, meeting James' eyes, who eyes her as well. For a short second Joy was in a trance. Noticing, she took a step back, leaving the safety of the invisibility cloak. James takes down the hood, leaving his head floating in the air with the rest of his body invisible. He musters Joy's face, while she tries to avoid every eye contact. His smirky face from before has long faded and worry has grown over it. Worry of a possible ruined friendship with Joy, worry about how Joy is doing, worry that he is the reason for her pain.

Joy, on the other hand, had just as many questions in her mind, looking at James' head floating in front of her. She shakes her head, "I need to go", she says in a monotone way and turns around to leave without waiting for an answer.

The last days of November passed quickly, with daily news of more people that have gone missing or were killed. The rumors of the 'darkest wizard of all time' didn't stop. In Hogwarts itself, everyone, especially the teachers, tried to keep everything the normal way. The re-match between Slytherin and Gryffindor led to a win for Gryffindor, leaving everyone in a bad mood for about a week. Lu included. Usually, she isn't that offended when losing a game, but these days are hard on everyone; thinking about the danger, family back home, and an unknown future. The letter from Amber didn't help there:

On the 10th of November, 10 days after Amber had left Hogwarts, Prim's owl brought a letter from her. Carrying good news, Amber and her family are doing alright, they found a safe place to hide, far away from England. The letter stated that she would keep us updated. On the 15th of November, however, we already received Amber's last letter, stating that she would, from now on, not be sending letters anymore, in case the owls were traced.

Since then, also our talk about Amber has gone down, afraid to hurt someone if they would start the topic; but surely no one stopped thinking of her. What conversation has not gone down, is the one of Prim hanging in Joy's ear on whether she thinks it was really a good idea to tell Nila about Joy's powers and Joy always answered, 'yea I trust her'.

Joy tried to go out of everyone's way as much as possible, sorting her thaughts on her powers, her family, her friends, especially her worries for everyone that was close to her and how her powers would influence the amount of danger they were in. But especially, she went out of the way of James, who leads for even more confusion for her.

As said, everyone tried to things as close to normal as possible, and as we approached the 1st of December, so did the Christmassy vibes.

"Can you believe this will be our last Christmas as students?", Prim grins, but Joy sighs: "I don't want this to be over...". "Yes", Lu pouts, "we'll all be out in the world, having jobs... I wonder where our friendship will go.." "Oh come on guys! Of course, we'll stay friends!! I just can't wait to become an auror!", Prim seems enthusiastic. "Woah you have to study a lot then!", Lu noticed. Prim nods. "What do you think Nila?". All heads turn to Nila who seems to not be following the conversation.  Suddenly, she starts to grin wide and gets up, showing with her finger out of the window of the  Great Hall. "It started snowing!", Joy grins and now the three girls get up as well. "It snows on the first of December? How ironic is that please!", Lu smiles wide. "Oh shut it!", Prim grinned and took Lu's arm: "We meet at the lake in 15 minutes!" and ran out of the hall. The three Slytherin girls that stood left behind also started their run to their dorm room in the dungeon to quickly get changed for a snowball fight.

For a second, Joy forgot about what was going on in the world. The girls followed their tradition and had a massive snowball fight. As all the girls now knew of Joy's power, she could take that to her advantage, magically forming three snowballs in the air with a bare thought, throwing them at the girls. "That is not fair!", screamed Lu loud. Prim as well let out a high-pitched scream: "The Slytherin in you is coming out Joy!!" and all the girls laugh.

A loud harrumph appeared behind Joy's back, such as someone is clearing their throat. "I'm sorry to disrupt your fun time girls! Ms. MacGee, Ms. Lacraft, and Ms. Madisson, Professor Dumbledore would like to see you in his office. He is awaiting you. Follow  me!" Without hesitation she turns around and leaves to enter the castle. The four girls exchange perplex glances but hurry after Professor McGonagall. The sound of the heels of her shoes fill the corridor. She stops infront of a eagle statue that Joy still remembers from her last visit in Dumbledore's office, where he told her about the Order of the Phoenix and where Joy wrote Prim's and Lu's name out on a paper. "Lemon sorbet", Professor McGonagall says in a strong voice and the eagle starts to turn, going up with a stairwell rising from underground. Just as the girls wanted to start climbing, Professor McGonagall puts an arm in front of Nila: "I'm sorry Ms. Malaj, Professor Dumbledore explicilty asked for Ms. MacGee, Ms. Lacraft and Ms. Madisson. But I'm sure it won't bother you to wait here for your friends", she smiles to Nila with a very sarcastic friendliness, leaving the girls to exchange confused glances again.

"Ms. MacGee, Ms. Lacraft, Ms. Madisson, thank you for coming. The issue is actually quite urgent. Thanks to our spies within the Order, we were able to hear on time, that your name, Ms. Joy, is taking its turn through the dark side."

Joy's mouth claps open, such as Lu's and Prim's. "Excuse me, sir, what order? And how could that have happened?", asked Prim. Joy didn't tell them about the Order of the Phoenix, as she thought it would be best to keep them as far from it as possible, which now collapsed. But Dumbledore didn't seem to tell anything further about the Order as well.

"Well, Ms. Prim, the thing is, we ask ourselves the exact same question. As far as the Order and I are concerned, Joy's parents and you three, are the only ones that know of Joy's power." Joy, with confusion but also fear written in her face, looks between her two best friends and Professor Dumbledore. "I swear I told no one!", said Prim and Lu out of one mouth. "Of course not! I'd trust them with my life Professer Dumbledore!", I press out hecktically, pushing away the thought that she told Nila as well. "Literally, Ms. MacGee, literally, well either way, in close discussion with your parents we have decided that you, Joy, as well as your brother, will not go home this Christmas but stay in Hogwarts were I and other members of the Order can have a close eye on you."

Moving a few steps backward, digesting the news, Joy collapsed with a table. Blinking her eyes, Joy cannot realized what Dumbledore just said, pressing out a quite: "What?"

"We'll also further investigate how information about your powers got out! If you have faith in Ms. Prim and Ms. Lucy, then I have faith as well. Nevertheless, we have to further look into your family's businesses. I got in contact with your parents Prim, they will join us within the Order, but leave you the decision whether you will go home on Christmas or stay with your friend... When it comes to your family, Ms. Maddisson, I am sorry I have not gotten any words back, but they would like you to go home over the Christmas holidays.", Dumbledore explains. Lu nods with a look on the floor. Joy musters her, disappointment on her face. Joy reaching out for her hand, Lu thankfully takes it. "And also, Hogsmeade, Ms. Joy, I'm very sorry but we can't let you go to Hogmeade", Dumbledore adds and Joy sighs. Joy cannot wait for being able to leave this office, feelings arousing in her that she cannot order into a specific category: fear, sad, anger or just disappointment, confusion or further. "Sorry, Professor Dumbledore, Sir, Joy told Nila Malaj as well", Prim presses out. Joy's face turns to Prim, not sure whether she should be angry of her telling that, whereas the decision was actually Joy's to make. Dumbledore's face only changed slightly, and then, calm as always, he says:

"That's all". Joy's breathed out in relieved and aprublty turns around bursting out of the office, Lu and Prim after her.

"What happened?!", Nila jumps up as the girls storm down the stairs. Joy, not honoring Nila one gaze, running past her, out on the lands of Hogwarts, down to the lake. The sun had already almost completely set, with only the full moon spending light to the four girls outside. Arrived at the lake, Joy bursts out in tears and her emotions bundled in a scream. The water of the lake formed into a great fountain of water, shooting about 10 meters up and bundeling down again. Joy falling down on her knees, seemingly weakened, with her friends in shock a view meters behind and a voice that let them all shake together:

"Woah, what was that?!"

James Potter, Peter Pettigrew and Sirius Black out of one mouth.