Chapter 3 - Landing at LAX

The rest of my final week went by quickly. I told my friends that it would be the last time I would seeing them and they reacted the way I did when I found out. They broke down in tears and we had a big group hug. Alexia came over after uni on Friday to help me pack and I told her that as soon as I've settled in to LA I will invite her over.

I get up at 4am on Saturday and slowly get dressed, putting on the last outfit I have left that I didn't pack. My whole room is filled with boxes as the removal van is not picking them up until 8 but we're leaving the house at 5 in order to catch our 14 hour flight that leaves at 9am. I'm not used to getting up so early but I'm thinking it might help with the jet lag.

I go downstairs and get some breakfast. My mum and dad are already sitting at the table when I come down stairs. "Morning" my dad greets me cheerfully.
"It's still dark outside, I class that as night" I say and slump down in a chair.
"Well I'm sorry we've had to get up early but this way it will be daytime in LA when we land" he says and carries on eating his cereal.
"Are you excited honey?" My mum asks me.
"Yeah I've got over the sadness and now I just can't wait to see our new house and get used to the new environment" I chirp and clap my hands in front of my chest. "Good, I'm sure you're going to love the house, it's bigger than this one and much more modern, very you" my mum tells me and I smile.
"Right I'm going to go load the car, I suggest you say goodbye to the house and England" My dad says and goes upstairs to get our cases.

I got to my room and Skyped my friends straight away saying goodbye to them, they were all half asleep as it was still very early but they all said goodbye and wished me luck. I started to feel sad again and lose the buzz of excitement I was feeling so I told them I loved them all and hung up the phone. "Come on Sweety we've got to get going" my dad called up the stairs.
"Coming" I call back and take the last look out the window of my bedroom, looking out across the town I've spend 20 years of my life in. I look out at my primary school where I made my very first friends. I see the tree where I had my first kiss. All my life has been in this town and it's so strange to think the rest of it is going to be spent somewhere else. I love this town and who knows, maybe I'll move back one day...

I jump down the last two stairs once I reach the bottom and take a look around the rest of the house saying goodbye to each room. "Come on sweetheart, we've really got to go now, you'll be back one day" my mum says and puts her arm round my waste as she leads me to the door. I sniffle back a tear and step out the door to my new life in LA.

...

"Wake up, Leah, we're here, we're in LA" I hear my mum whispering in my ear and shaking me gently as I stir from my nap. After a 14 hour flight on an uncomfortable plane seat I get up and step off the plane.

The first thing that hits me is the heat. It's a lot hotter here even just on the runway of LAX airport.

"Well then honey, here we are" my dad says and hugs my mum and then me.
"Oh my god I'm so excited, let's go" my mum says as we grab our bags from baggage claim. "It's this way to the taxi's so let's head that way and hail one down to take us to our new home" my dad says excitedly and leads us to the taxi stop.