Chapter 1

I take another bite of cereal while my dad reads the newspaper beside us. "You know, the Ronny just told his parents he likes boys." Alex says from beside me. I glance briefly at him but keep my nose out of the conversation. "Oh my goodness. You're not allowed over there anymore." Our mom says, resting her hand on dad's shoulder. Alex nods a little before grabbing his book bag to stand up. I push my cereal away and grab my stuff, walking after him.

"It would be different if it were their son." I say, trying to comfort him. He shakes his head a little. "No it wouldn't." He shoves his hands in his pockets. I sigh softly and nudge him a tiny bit. Reggie, his childhood best-friend, runs over to us. He wraps his arms around my shoulder and Alex's.

"Hey my beautiful friends. Ready for another day of school?" Reggie asks, clearly in a good mood this morning. I laugh softly and shake my head. Alex rolls his eyes playfully at him. "Yeah. Ready." He says at least trying to sound excited. Luke jumps off his porch after slamming his front door closed, quickly running over to us. "Let's blow this popsicle stand before my mom kills me." He says, nudging me away from Reggie. He doesn't even acknowledge I was there. I glare at him.

"Ah Luke, still an ass I see." I keep my glare. He turns his head to look at me. He notices my glare and returns an amused, smug look. "Oh Y/n. Didn't even see you with how short you are. Still annoying, I see?" He retorts which makes me scoff at him. I walk around to walk beside Alex instead. Luke made my blood boil. He was always over at our house and he was always picking on me. Yeah I was Alex's twin sister but still was considered the little sister since I was born last. Reggie and I were pretty close. His parents fought a lot, which meant he was always at our house too. Luke was way too full of himself for me to handle. Alex shakes his head at us. He was used to our constant banter. Reggie only made it worse with his 'you guys are gonna get married' comments. I wouldn't touch that jerk with a ten foot pole. We walk into school together. Alex and Reggie both had classes in hallway B. Luke and I of course had the same first block. Chemistry. He would stomp beside me. Complaining about coming to school and the class. I just ignored him. Sometimes I did listen. If he was telling me about a fight with his parents or a smart comment his mom would say about him being in a band. I would put my input in sometimes but he just told me no.

"Luke, I don't care." I open my locker and shake my head. He slams my locker close in front of me. "That's rude." A few students glance over at us. I look at him like he's crazy. "You've told me multiple times that I am." I snap at him, opening my locker again. He holds his hands up in defense. There was a hallway full of students but he chose to bother me. "Mrs. Barnes only yelled at you because you threw a paper ball at her back." I grab my book and close my locker, beginning my walk to class. Luke immediately begins to follow me like a puppy. "As if she didn't deserve it." He mumbles, rolling his eyes. I huff quietly and step into the classroom. I take my seat in my usual spot and open my textbook.

"Class today I'll be giving you a partner for the big project. It's worth most of your grade." Mrs. Barnes says, reaching over to grab her roll call book.

"Miss Mercer.. Mr Patterson." She says immediately making me lay my head down on my book. No. I could not do a project with that hallow head. He was going to make me do it anyways. His lame excuses of being busy with the band. I was busy with my own band. My best friends, Sasha and Lydia. We'd started a band a little before Alex and his group got together. We called ourselves Girl Power. It wasn't the best but we thought it was cool at the time because girls just rock.

"So you're gonna do the project right? K, thanks." Luke goes to walk away. I quickly grab his arm and pull him back. "No. You're helping me." I say, looking up at him. "Band practice." He crosses his arms and shakes his head. "Funny. I have band practice too. We can work on it after." I say, standing up and grabbing my stuff. He chuckles a little to himself. I stop to look at him. "You mean your lame band?" He scoffs at me. I laugh quietly and clench my fist to keep myself from hitting him right then and there.

"My house. 8:00." I shove the paper against his chest pretty hard, making him wince slightly. I smirk before walking away from him. "Fine, if you insist on seeing me that badly." Luke calls after me. I roll my eyes and walk out of the classroom.

I meet up with my girls after school. Sasha always held band practice at her house. Her dad kept music equipment in their garage as he used to be in a band himself. "Says here, we're going up against your brothers band." Lydia says, handing me the paper. "Good. Maybe then I can wipe Luke's smirk off his face." I grumble and continue to tune my guitar. "He's kind of cute though. You've got to admit." I quickly look over at Sasha. "If the devil was cute, sure." I mumble and look back down at my guitar. Yeah, Luke was cute. His personality and attitude towards me didn't help his case though. I check the time on my watch and quickly stand up. "Shit. I'm late." I say, rushing to grab my stuff. Luke was probably going to be pissed. I didn't really care though. I wave by to them before going over to grab my bike.