Chapter 2

Luke sat on my porch waiting for me. I was confused as to why he didn't just go inside to hang out with Alex until I got there. "Mercer, you're late." He says, not even bothering to look up from his song book. I walk over and snatch it from him, making him quickly look up. "Come on, Patterson. We've got work to do." I say, walking inside. He gathers his stuff and follows me. "Give that back." I turn towards him and hold it behind my back. "What if I don't..?" I ask, raising my eyebrow at him. Luke looks over my face briefly. A slight hint of challenge behind his hazel eyes. "You're lucky your Alex's sister." He says simply, holding out his hand for the book. I shake my head at him. I wasn't giving in that easy. He steps closer which makes me take a step backwards. "Really?" He mumbles, stepping closer again. We continue this until I can't step back anymore, my back hitting the wall. Luke leans close enough to place his hands on either side of me on the wall. My breathing stops for a second. He's close enough for me to feel his breathe against my cheek. I look up at him, trying not to seem nervous or intimidated. A smirk spreads across his lips. That stupid smirk. His eyes briefly glance from my lips to my eyes. I feel my heart beating faster. Suddenly he reaches down and snatches the book from my hand. He pushes off the wall and walks away from me. It took me a second to actually register what just happened.

"Come on, Mercer. Let's get to work." Luke looks back at me. I slowly nod and walk to the kitchen table, setting up our stuff. He opens his book and looks at me. "Where do we start?"

We worked on the project for a while before Alex walks inside. "Where have you been?" I ask, looking over at him. "A friends house. If you must know." He ruffles my hair a bit before fist bumping Luke. I shove him lightly and fix my hair. "Mom and dad working late. I'm ordering a pizza." He says, walking into the kitchen. I nod and look back at my paper. Luke's paper was completely covered in doodles and song lyrics. "You going home tonight?" Alex asks, handing Luke a soda. Luke shakes his head a little. "Nah man, it's been a little rough over there." He looks down, clearly used to it being tough at his house. Luke's parents were hard on him. Really hard. They pressured him in school and hated him being in a band. He and his mom often fought. It would get so bad, he would have to crash on our couch until his mom calls. Our mom would have to send him back home. "Couch is open." Alex says, patting his shoulder softly. He nods. "Thanks." He smiles a little and colors in a doodle he had been working on. It was actually a pretty cool drawing of a bird. If only it was an actual drawing instead of just a doodle.

"Pizzas here!" Alex calls from the couch. I stand up and walk over to my dad's wallet, grabbing money out of it. I walk to the door and open it. "Oh hi, Brian." I say, smiling softly. He smiles and holds out two pizza boxes for me. "Party or something here?" He asks and looks around a bit. "Nope. Growing boys." I say making him laugh. Alex and Luke both appear beside me just as I say that. "It's the guy that Y/n has a crush on? Remember?" Luke says pretty loud. Making sure it's loud enough for Brian to hear. My face heats up and my words get lost in my throat. "That's right, I think Y/n did mention something about a crush?" Alex says, of course being the mean brother he is. "They're kidding." I smile a little and hand him the money. Brian smiles at me and hands me the pizza boxes. "No we're not." Luke mouths over my shoulder as I shut the door. "I hate you guys!" I shove the boxes into Alex's hands, quickly running upstairs to my room. I slam the door behind me. Alex and Luke look at each other. "Too much?" Luke asks, looking over to the stairs. "Nah, she'll be fine." Alex walks to the kitchen. Luke takes one more look upstairs before walking to the kitchen. I didn't go down to dinner. Instead, I used the home phone to call Sasha first.

"Then the dickheads told him I liked him! Ugh! I hate boys." I mumble, burying my face into my pillow. She laughs softly over the phone. "You'll be alright. Brian is just some dumb football player who delivers pizza for cash." She says, which kind of made me feel better but it didn't at the same time. I hear a knock on the my door. "Hang on." I say, setting the phone down before walking over. I open it to see Luke standing there with two pieces of pizza on a plate. "We didn't want to eat it all without you having some." He says, holding it out for me.

"How do I know you didn't lick it?" I ask and cross my arms. "I can if you want me to.." He sticks out his tongue making me hit his arm. He chuckles softly and holds out the plate. "Take it or not." I sigh softly and take the pizza from him. "Goodnight." He says, waving a little before walking back downstairs. Weird. Didn't know Luke Patterson could be so nice. I sit back on my bed and grab the phone. "Luke just brought me pizza.." I say, smiling a little. "You guys are getting married." Sasha says immediately. "Oh gosh. Not you too!"

I walk downstairs to take my plate to the sink. Luke was fast asleep on the couch, a grey blanket thrown over him (probably by my mom). I smile and walk to our stuff at the table. Luke had started another doodle but I couldn't tell what it was. It looked like a girl. That was kind of strange.