Little things

"Oh my god, guys! That's Ed Sheeran!" Niall screeched as a ginger-haired man walked inside their studio.

They all stared at him with big eyes as he approached them. He waved.
"Hi guys, I'm Ed."

Liam was the first to collect himself. He reached out a hand for Ed to shake.
"I'm Liam."

They all introduced themselves.
"So, your label reached out and ask me if I want to write a song for your new album and here I am." Ed smiled and turned his palms upwards and lifted his arms from the sides.

"No way! That's awesome dude!" Niall half-shouted.

"I'm glad you think so." Ed chuckled.

They sat down. Ed looked around at them.
"I heard your first album. You're great."

"Thanks!" Harry beamed. He was a bit starstruck but Niall was worse. Niall's face was red and he couldn't stop giggling.

"So I had this idea for a ballad. Little things, like all the small things that make you love someone. I wrote the chorus already." Ed said. He picked up a guitar and started to sing.

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if I do, it's you, oh it's you, they add up to
I'm in love with you and all these little things

"That's great!" Liam said as soon as Ed stopped singing.

"Thanks. Considering this will be your song I thought I would come over to meet you guys to hear what little things you like with someone, you know, all the good stuff you learn about a person when you've been together for a while." Ed said.

"Yeah, I'm out." Zayn said.

"Me too. No idea." Liam said.

"You should talk to those two. They know that shit." Niall said and pointed at Harry and Louis before the three of them left the room.

Harry and Louis glanced at each other before they looked over at Ed who had picked up a notebook and a pen.
"You have a girlfriend, right Louis?"

"What, oh yeah, yeah, girlfriend. Ehm..." Louis stuttered.

"Tell me about the small things you love about her." Ed smiled and put the pen against the paper.

Louis sighed and scratched his head and then he decided to just go for it.
"I love that h..ehrm, her hand is bigger than mine but they just fit together, you know?"

Ed wrote it down and wrinkled his eyebrows.
"Her hands are bigger than yours? Wow. That's good. Go on."

"She has these cute freckles on her cheeks that you can't see if you're not close enough." Louis said and smiled.

"Okay, Harry?" Ed asked while he took notes.

"Ehm, she hates these crinkles by her eyes that she gets when she smiles but I love them. It's adorable. She has a bit of low self-esteem and she doesn't like her tummy or her thighs but I think they're perfect as they are. She refuses to stand on a scale and always buys clothes in the wrong size. They're either too big or too small. I wish she didn't feel that self-conscious because she doesn't have to lose a pound." Harry said while he glanced at Louis who was beaming.

"Oh, and she got these cute little dimples at the bottom of her spine that I just love." Harry smiled and held eye contact with Louis.

"Right..." Ed said and looked between them but they didn't notice, too caught up in the moment.

Louis continued.
"She can't go to bed without a cup of tea and she talks in her sleep. I don't understand half of it but it feels special because I'm the only one who gets to hear it."

"Oh, she always complains about her voice after we hear a recording and that makes me sad because her voice is so beautiful and special." Harry added.

"Okay guys, cut the crap. How long have you two been together?" Ed grinned.

Louis and Harry stared at him in surprise with blushed cheeks.
"We're not." Harry protested lamely.

"You're not out yet? That's okay. I'm not gonna pry. I just think it's great. Beautiful." Ed smiled.

Louis turned to Harry with glittery eyes.
"I think we just came out to Ed Sheeran."

"Yeah." Harry giggled.

They told him everything. Ed looked upset.
"That's horrible! I'm so sorry guys."

They had made a friend for life. Ed hanged out with all of them after that before he left. He had promised to keep their relationship a secret. He didn't exactly feel that hyped about writing a song for a label that was such pricks but Harry and Louis had said so many great things about each other. They deserved this song.

A week later he sent the lyrics to them and they all smiled when they read it. Harry's and Louis's smiles were the brightest.

Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me
But bear this in mind it was meant to be
And I'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks
And it all makes sense to me
I know you've never loved the crinkles by your eyes
When you smile, you've never loved your stomach or your thighs
The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine
But I'll love them endlessly

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if I do, it's you, oh it's you, they add up to
I'm in love with you and all these little things

You can't go to bed without a cup of tea
Maybe that's the reason that you talk in your sleep
And all those conversations are the secrets that I keep
Though it makes no sense to me
I know you've never loved the sound of your voice on tape
You never want to know how much you weigh
You still have to squeeze into your jeans
But you're perfect to me

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if it's true, it's you, it's you, they add up to
I'm in love with you and all these little things

You never love yourself half as much as I love you
And you'll never treat yourself right darling but I want you to
If I let you know, I'm here for you
Maybe you'll love yourself like I love you, oh

And I've just let these little things slip out of my mouth
'Cause it's you, oh it's you, it's you they add up to
And I'm in love with you and all these little things
I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth
But if it's true, it's you, it's you they add up to
I'm in love with you, and all your little things