Chapter 11

Hobi needed to get back to teach his class. He took the two gowns with him to make the alterations he needed and squeezed both me and Aera before he left.

"Call me later bitch!" He screamed as he left.

"He's a wonderful boy but uses rather odd words as terms of endearment." Aera began "Are you hungry?"

My stomach answered for me with its loud and uncontrollable rumble. "I'll take that as a yes," Aera laughed. She took me to a small bistro not far from the boutique. She even asked if the chef could offer us a list of his vegetarian specialities. I could tell she was nervous. She kept fiddling with her purse zip and couldn't maintain eye contact.

This was the first time we had ever been alone together and it showed. We chatted for a bit about the basics; school, friends, my undying love for converse shoes.

I managed to dodge the subject of Namjoon everytime the conversation veered in that direction. I hadn't decided yet if I wanted to tell them about the dog show but even if I did, it wouldn't be until after I spoke to Namjoon myself.

Suddenly the conversation took a very different turn.

"My mother died when I was young too you know." Well that came out of left field. "She committed suicide when I was 14. I know it's not the same as what you have been through, but I just wanted you to know that I do have some understanding on the topic if you ever need someone to talk to." Aera spoke directly into her cappuccino whilst stirring it to within an inch of its life.

I felt at a loss at what to say. I had never thought to ask before about Aera's family and I realized now she hadn't ever spoken of them, even in all the engagement party planning.

"I'm sorry Aera, I didn't know."

"It's OK sweetheart. It was a long time ago for me. The truth is the wound never truly heals when you suffer that kind of loss. Time just allows for you to find a place for the hurt. You learn to live with it but it never completely goes away." She took a sip over her over stirred drink before continuing.

"That's why I'm so grateful I found your dad. He's the only person I've ever met willing to take some of that burden from me. He is my patch over the wound" I found myself agreeing with Aera.

My dad was what kept me grounded and sane when we lost mum. He took so much from me so I didn't have to bear it alone, I treated him so unfairly sometimes. Pain and hurt can bring out the worst in you.

"What about Namjoon and Jungkook's dad? Didn't he support you?"

I wasn't sure this was an appropriate question to ask but Aera smiled back assuring me I was free to talk here. "I fell pregnant with Namjoon when I was 15. It wasn't even a full year since I lost my mum. My dad walked out and I ended up moving in with Namjoon's dad's family. They were good people, they took care of us."

She took a pause, clearly planning her words carefully.

"Unfortunately Namjoon and Jungkook's dad didn't always share his family's kindness. We got married as soon as we could to provide stability for Namjoon but despite this show of commitment he often strayed from his role as husband.

He worked hard, don't get me wrong, and provided a rich life for us but Namjoon and Jungkook have few childhood memories with their dad. Even during the times where he was there he wasn't. He would often become distracted."

"How?"

"Let's just say his wedding ring never stayed on his finger long enough to cause a tan line."

"Ahh."

"Yes. Namjoon actually caught him with another woman at his first grade birthday party. He went looking for his dad to help a little girl that had gotten hurt in the bouncy house and found him in his office with one of the other children's mums. That day changed him. It was like my little boy felt the need to grow up immediately and become the man of the house. He felt he needed to protect me from getting hurt even from his own dad."