chapter seventeen

eveline jumped up as the doorbell rang, knowing it was her new friend.

as she opened the door, she saw beverly and an older man, probably her dad.

the conversation she had on the phone with him still in her mind, she didnt like how mr. marsh was looking over her, and she wished she changed out of her shorts into something that covered more.

thankfully stephan walked in at this time, "i thought i heard the doorbell! evie why dont you take your friend to your room while me and her dad figure out how shes gonna get home tomorrow?"

eveline rapidly nodded her head, eager to get out of this situation. she grabbed beverly's hand and pulled her towards her newly decorated room.

"ta-da! this is my room! i just finished unpacking!"

beverly nodded slowly and placed her bag on the floor next to the door.

"so i was thinking we could first just get the whole sleepover situation ready, yknow get the face masks and nail polish and snacks and movies and blankets and all that! i wanted to go for a bike ride first but since you had to come a bit late we can just do that next time!"

beverly looked at the girl, "next time?"

"well yeah! i dont just invite anyone to a sleepover! these are sacred and only saved for best friends or soon to be's!" eveline exclaimed, making bev let out a chuckle.

"okay, so where do we start?"

the living room was taken over with all the basic sleepover materials, sixteen candles playing on the tv as eveline was braiding beverly's hair.

"how'd you learn how to do this?" beverly broke the silence between the two.

"do what?"

"yknow, braid hair."

beverly knew that most girls knew how, but they usually learned from their mothers, which both beverly and eveline were lacking.

beverly never knew how to because of this, even with her long hair, and she never had any friends to teach her how, yet eveline seemed to be a master at it.

"oh. well my mom taught me!" eveline laughed, noticing beverly went silent, she knew where her thoughts were going. eveline let out a sigh, "my mother isnt a deadbeat, or well dead, if that's what your wondering. shes just working on herself back in california."

beverly's lips formed an o shape, "whys she working on herself?"

eveline let out another sigh, thankful that she was braiding beverly's hair so she had something to focus on and calm her down, "honestly i dont know, that sounds bad but stephan wont tell me anything. dennis seems to understand that im not a stupid child and tries to tell me, but he always gets too worked up to give me any actual information, teddy just gets mad and goes for a cigarette."

beverly nodded to the best of her abilities, trying not to mess the other girl up while telling her she understood.

"there, all done." beverly turned around at the girls words, feeling her now finished braid.

she saw eveline's watery eyes and felt guilt tug at her heart.

"oh shit."

'yeah thatll help beverly, good job. if you were crying that's exactly what youd want to hear someone say' beverly scolded herself but stopped when she heard eveline giggle.

"im fine, it's just a topic i dont talk about a lot, it's nice to though." eveline smiled and took beverly's hands in her own, "thank you."

"oh uh- no problem." beverly blushed, she never really got this much affection, unless you counted hair pulling and being shoved into lockers as affection.