Chapter 6- Secrets

Dad and I drove to Mom's house. I've been staying with Dad lately. He was concerned he was mental and I've been trying to explain it was all reality. We got out of the car and Mom was on the sidewalk.

"Where is he?" Dad asked.

"Well, he could be in his room, jumping up and down on his bed wearing a red hat and galoshes," Mom said, walking slowly.

"I don't care what Neil's doing. Where's Charlie?" Dad asked.

Mom laughed. "Oh, I see, I see. Well, if you can't be Father of the Year, why not be Father Christmas, huh?" Mom questioned as we walked inside.

I heard Neil trying to explain why Santa couldn't be real to Charlie and I had to roll my eyes. Charlie observed and listened to what happened last night. This boy was outsmarting a doctor. I was sort of proud of him.

"Hey, Neil. Hiya, sport," Dad greeted them.

"Hi, Dad. Hey, sis," Charlie said calmly.

"You wanna take a walk? I wanna talk to ya," Dad offered.

"Sure! I'll get my coat," Charlie got up and ran off.

"Scott?" Neil called. "Can I have a minute?"

Dad sighed. "Crystal, can you get something warmer on?"

I nodded and ran off. I was bundled up already, but Dad just wanted me to leave. I knew his lingo. I made sure Charlie zipped up his jacket. I didn't want him to catch a cold.

"Do you think by next year, I'll be good enough to drive the sleigh by myself?" Charlie asked as we walked around the park.

"No," Dad deadpanned.

"But I've been practicing!" Charlie argued.

"No, that's not what I'm talking about. Charlie, hold on a second. We have to talk about this Santa Claus thing," Dad stopped and Charlie stood in front of him. "Charlie, there is no..."

"No what, Dad?" Charlie asked innocently.

"There's no reason why we have to tell anybody about the North Pole," Dad said, making me nod in agreement.

"Why not?" Charlie asked.

"Well, sometimes, big things should remain unsaid between three people-"

"Oh, like a secret," Charlie understood.

"Yes! Like a secret. Let's keep it a secret," Dad nodded.

"How come?" Charlie asked.

I looked at Dad. "We need to sit down and tell him. I need to explain to you what's going on with me too."

We sat on a bench and I sat next to them. Charlie was squirming in Dad's lap. "What did you want to talk about?"'

"Who I really am," I looked at the bracelet on my wrist.

"And who is that?" Charlie asked, confused.

"I'm an elf," I breathed.

Dad sighed. "You are not an elf, Crystal. That was just a dream."

I tucked my hair behind my ear, showing off my pointy ears. Dad's eyes widened when I lightly tugged on it. It didn't come off. "I am an elf."

"How are you here then?" Charlie asked.

"In eleven-ninety-four, Mr. C took me with him to deliver presents. Slipped and fell out of the sleigh," I frowned at the memory.

"You are not that old," Dad scoffed.

"I am. I'm eighteen-hundred years old," I smiled.

"Okay," Dad sighed. "My adopted daughter is an elf and is older than I am. What about that elf kid. Barney?"

"Bernard?" I corrected him and he nodded. "He... he's my-"

"Boyfriend?" Dad guessed as my eyes widened. "Told me before I went with Judy. I understand, Crystal. You're old enough. Although, from now on, I want you to say you're eighteen, because then it sounds more realistic."

"That's the only thing? You're okay with Bernard and I?" I questioned.

"Yep. He's taken great care of you, from what I could tell," Dad nodded.

I side-hugged him, making him smile. He hugged me back as Charlie hugged me. I giggled.

"Charlie, understand that you can't tell anyone what I really am," I pulled away from Dad.

"I know," Charlie pulled away from me. "And you better stay with Bernard. He's nice."

I laughed. "Of course, Charlie."