Chapter 12- The Santa Clause 2

"They're coming right at us!" the girl elf yelled.

"Take us to elf con three!" Bernard yelled as I rushed around, trying to keep the shields under control.

"Take us to elf con three," the elf said calmly into the phone.

"These guys aren't stopping," Bernard said, making me worried. "Take us to elf con two!"

"Let's go to elf con two," the elf said into the phone.

Dad walked in as the telescope came in. Dad looked out as the plane kept getting closer. "We have a partridge in a pear tree. Take us to elf con one," Dad concluded.

"Let's be ready for silent running. Look alive, everyone!" I said.

This hasn't happened in a couple decades. We flipped the switches frantically, turning knobs and growing quieter and quieter. We were silent when we completely stopped. I stayed at my station, my head buzzing as the beeping continued.

Music sounded throughout the village and I looked around in confusion and panic.

"Find out where that music's coming from," Dad said in a hushed tone.

One of the elves pinpointed the location to the take-off building. I smiled proudly at the red beacon.

"Santa, I've got it on our locator," the elf said.

Dad walked over with Bernard and I thought of where it might be. I rushed off, my footsteps barely making a sound. Bernard caught up to me, intertwining our hands as we made it to the building.

Dad pointed to the door and it opened. A pair of pointy shoes was sticking out of the sleigh, kicking to the music. I covered Curtis's mouth as Bernard turned off the Santa figure. I held a finger to my lips, shushing him.

"We are in elf con four! All clear!" the elf said over the announcer.

I sighed in relief and removed my hand. The elves cheered and Bernard held me close. The whole village could've been at risk if they discovered us.

"Curtis, let's say we get you a nice set of headphones for Christmas?" Dad asked. "It's alright, everybody. Let's get back to work."

"Curtis. You are nine hundred years old. Grow up!" Bernard said with wide eyes.

Curtis glared at him as I put a hand on Bernard's shoulder. I gave him a pleading look and his posture softened.

"Bernard, Crystal!" Dad yelled in front of us.

"Coming, Mr. C," I took Bernard's hand and we walked over to him.

Curtis caught up to us later. He was trying his hardest to live up to Bernard's expectations. He lives strictly by the rules, and I don't blame him. Everything should be in order if we want to get things done on time for the holidays.

"You know I'm not breaking the rules. According to the Santa handbook-"

"The handbook. Curtis, do you go peepee with that thing?" Bernard taunted and I smiled.

"It says elves are encouraged to listen to music. Makes them more creative, more productive, and well, more alert. Look out!"

Bernard wrapped an arm around me protectively as the four of us ducked. One of the reindeer flew over our heads, making me groan. We've been trying to train him for weeks.

"Okay. Is he alright?" Dad asked as we got up.

"He's okay, Santa!" one of the elves yelled.

"Wow. That's going to leave a mark," Dad commented. "Was that Blitzen? Looks like Prancer. Who was that?"

"It was Chet," Curtis smiled. "One of our reindeer-in-training."

"Oh. Well, please tell me that it's early in his training," Dad chuckled. He looked at me. "How are you so alert? Was it actually the music?"

I shook my head. "Loud noises?"

"Someone made the noises," I hinted.

"Charlie?" Dad guessed.

"Bingo," I nodded as he walked away.

"Curtis, when are you going to tell him?" Bernard hissed.

"Not now," Curtis hissed back.

We followed after Dad, Bernard slightly swaying our hands. He looked at me for a moment before kissing my cheek. I looked at him, surprised, as my cheeks flushed.

"Bernard!" I reprimanded quietly. "Not at work!"

"You love it," Bernard smirked at me, kissing the top of my head.

"Sure, and you like it when I cling onto you in my sleep," I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"I actually do," Bernard admitted, making my blush darker.