Chapter 10- E.L.F.S.

"Bernard!" Charlie said, running over to him as I recovered from my shock.

"You know there's this thing called heart attacks, and people get them?" I questioned as I hugged him.

"Good thing you're an elf," Bernard replied and I rolled my eyes.

"Bernard, can we go, please? Can we go, Bernard?" Charlie begged as I pulled away.

"It's okay with me," Bernard looked at Dad.

Dad smiled at Bernard and I. He looked at Charlie. "You realize we'll be in trouble, right?"

"Dad, please?" I looked at him pleadingly.

"Let's go," Dad whispered and Charlie and I beamed.

~~~

"Charlie's got some great ideas on how to keep you safe. Santa, this is Quintin, head of research and development," Bernard walked over to the sleigh.

"Quintin, good to meet ya," Dad shook his hand.

"Hello, Santa. Charlie and I have put our heads together, and I think we've got a few surprises for you," Quintin explained.

"This is some of the best that's come out of the workshop since... the ball," Bernard said.

"Fabulous. What happens if I fall off the roof?" Dad followed Bernard.

~~~

"Fireplaces will no longer be a problem," Bernard explained the suit.

"It's a new fabric. Completely flame-retardant," Quintin added. "It's light, yet durable."

"And you could wear the jumpsuit under your coat and pants," Judy piped in.

"But, what do I do if I fall off the roof?" Dad asked.

"Unless there's another Scott Calvin who yells at people on their roof or the reindeer get fed candy, there really shouldn't be a problem," I assured him, standing back from the suit and admiring it.

"I'm still your Dad," Dad looked at me.

"You're also technically my boss," I said, laying my head on Bernard's shoulder.

~~~

"Is he going to be alright?" I watched Dad take off with Charlie.

"We've got radio contact with him at all times. If he's in trouble, we'll know," Judy said.

I watched the beacon go into Illinois, around Mom's house. It was there for a few minutes.

"Why isn't it moving?" I asked in confusion.

Judy ran out to the balcony. "We've got a problem. Santa was at the Miller's, but he's not responding."

Quintin sat back in his seat. "Well, time to deploy E.L.F.S."

"I'm going," I said, running down the stairs as Bernard rang the bell.

"What are you talking about?" Bernard grabbed my arm, stopping me.

"Mom wants both of us. She doesn't believe us yet," I explained, hugging him. "I'm teleporting. I love you."

"I love you too. Be safe!" Bernard yelled after me.

I teleported to Mom's house and landed next to Charlie on the roof. I saw the police in front of the house and my eyes widened. Charlie scooted closer to me scaredly.

The E.L.F.S. squad arrived and I smiled.

"Charlie? Crystal?" the elf asked.

I nodded, getting up. "Don't worry, Charls. They're the good guys."

"C'mon, let's go save Santa," the elf said.

"We can't. The police are watching this place," Charlie frowned, getting up also.

"Yeah, they probably are. But, you see, we weren't figuring on walking out the front door. We find that we can get around a lot faster if we fly. Now, you have to hold our hands, and hang on tight. And Charlie?"

"Yeah?" he asked as I walked over to one of the girls.

"Don't ever try this without E.LF.S. supervision," the elf smiled.

I nodded and Charlie took the elf's hand. I took one of the girl's and we flew to the police department. We opened the door and stood in front of the desk.

"We're looking for Santa Claus," the elf said.

"Go home, kids. Visiting hours are over," the officer was annoyed.

"We're not kids," I smiled. "And we're not visiting."

"We're here to bust out my Dad," Charlie said innocently.

"You're the Calvin kids," the officer said in realization. "Who are these other kids?"
"We're your worst nightmare. Elves with attitude," the elf smirked.

Two elves pulled him down into his chair. Three of them wrapped him in ribbon, tying him to the chair. Charlie was laughing the whole time, making me smile.

"Untie me! I mean it!" the officer shouted before Charlie shoved a donut in his mouth.

We ran into the jailhouse and the elf pulled out a strand of tinsel. He handed it to me and I cut the hinges with ease.

"How'd you do that?" Dad looked at me.

"Tinsel. Not just for decoration," the elf smirked.