Chapter 22- Wife?

"Hey, guys, back up. I've got a very special place for him," Dad said, cutting us through the trample of elves.

"Maybe you need some time to chill down," I said, holding out my hands. Ice encased him, freezing him completely. Bernard stood behind me in shock as I finished.

The elves moved him to the room and they turned him back into a toy. Bernard looked at me proudly.

"Dad, Crystal, you were great," Charlie walked over to us.

"You were pretty great too," Dad replied.

"We've got ten minutes, we gotta go," Charlie informed us.

"Don't remind me," I smiled.

"Where's Carol?" Dad asked. "Carol are you alright?"

Bernard joined my side. "I'm great!"

"Where are you going?" Bernard asked.

"You should know this. Number one, I've got to deliver gifts," Dad explained.

"Dad, aren't you forgetting something?" I realized what Bernard was saying.

"No!" Dad said.

"You've got to get married," Bernard dropped the bomb.

We stopped. "Excuse me?" Carol asked cluelessly.

"Carol, I uh... I cannot continue being Santa unless I find a Mrs. Claus," Dad explained.

"Oh. So that was the whole "noodles and pie" thing. You just wanted a wife," Carol realized.

"No," Dad sighed.

"No," Carol echoed.

"Yes," he said defeatedly.

"Yes?" Carol questioned.

"Yes, I was looking for a wife," Dad admitted.

"Noodles and pie?" Bernard whispered.

"Better than falling off a tree to get my attention," I smiled, interlocking both of our left hands.

"You love me?" Carol whispered.

Dad nodded. "This is all happening so fast."

"Well, there's no pressure," Dad assured her and she took a deep breath. "I mean, if I don't get married, I won't deliver the gifts. Children everywhere will stop believing. The elves will lose their jobs at the North Pole. It'll disappear, and Christmas will be gone."

"Get down on one knee," Abby said. "Do it. Now."

Dad got down on one knee nervously. "Say it. Carol," Abby started.

"Carol," Dad repeated.

"You say this is happening all so fast," Abby said.

"You say this is happening all so fast," Dad echoed.

"But you've known me your whole life," Abby added.

"But you've known me your whole life," Dad smiled.

"When you were little and alone," Abby continued.

"When you were little and alone," Dad said.

"Santa," they said simultaneously.

"I can take it from here," Dad assured her. "Santa was always there for you. And I will be there for you as long as you continue to believe in me. I know I'm asking to leave everything at home, but I can guarantee that this is worth it. This place... this place is all about magic, and love, and wonder. And occasionally a thin-crust pizza, and a movie on a long winter's night."

"Is there a school here?" Carol asked.

"We have one, but the elves need a new principal," Dad stammered. "'Cause of late, some of the elves have been acting a bit impish. Carol, I love you. Would you be my wife?"

"I will," Abby whispered, making me want to laugh.

"Thank you. I've got it from here," Carol looked at her and turned back to Dad.

"I will," she said, making me beam.

They hugged, and the elves cheered. Bernard wrapped his arms around my waist, engulfing me in surprising warmth.

"You're freezing, you know that?" Bernard asked, letting go of my hand.

"Tell me something I don't know," I replied.

"I love you so much," he whispered.

"I love you too," I looked at our rings. "But, we need to talk about something."