Chapter 8- Custody Battle

"Charlie, Crystal, can I talk to you for a minute?" the man asked.

We were sitting in a lawyer office. Mom and Neil were trying to take away Dad's visitation rights for a while. They took away the bracelet and the necklace; I cried for a week. I snuck into their bedroom and took them back. I wear them under my clothes now.

"It's okay, you two. C'mon," Mom said softly.

"We won't be long," the man said and closed the door.

He talked to us and we had to explain what Dad's been doing. Charlie was all honesty, and so was I. We told him that he wasn't doing anything wrong. I refused to show him my ears. He wasn't happy with that, but moved on despite.

He opened the door and I was relieved when I saw Dad. We hugged him, Dad picking up Charlie. Charlie whispered something to Dad. I couldn't speak. There was a lump of nervousness in my throat that made me barely able to speak.

We all went into the Judge's office and I sat next to Dad willingly. The Judge sat down and folded his hands.

"After reviewing all of your testimonies, I've come to a very difficult decision. I'm sorry to do this in light of the holiday season, but, in the best interest of the children, I'm granting the petition of Dr. and Mrs. Miller. Mr. Clavin, as of today, all of your visitation rights are suspended, ending a hearing at the end of the year."

Mom and Neil looked relieved. I refused to cry, but the ball stayed in my throat. I couldn't speak unless I wanted to start crying. Mom took us home with Neil. I gave Dad a tearful hug, wanting nothing more than to be with him.

Mom took away only the bracelet this time when we got home, insisting that it's only fueling my imagination. I was willing. I wasn't planning on changing anytime soon. They would take me away from Charlie also if I did.

Charlie and I were miserable with Mom and Neil. I hated it with them, but I hid it well. Charlie wasn't enjoying it also. We didn't like it here. I wanted to be with Dad so I could help him. He thinks he's going insane, and I want to make sure that he doesn't think so.

"When are we going to see Dad again?" Charlie grumbled as we watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas on the couch.

"Charlie, when they said they took away his visitation rights, it means that we can't go see him or he can't see us. I don't think he'll be around anymore if we keep saying this stuff," I explained.

"I want to see Dad again. I miss him. I want to go back to the North Pole," Charlie laid his head on my shoulder.

"I do too," I agreed with him.

"Why can't you go back? You're an elf," Charlie asked curiously.

I sighed. "I have to explain to them who I really am and have them believe me before I go back. Otherwise, I would've stayed there for the past year. At least you and Dad believe me," I smiled at him.

He lightly smiled. "I do. I trust you. I'm glad you're my adoptive sister."

"I'm glad you're my adoptive brother," I replied. "Now, watch the movie before Mom wants us to go to bed."