Prologue.

A/N.

Warnings: Sheik is male, his own person, and I completely fuck with his origins in Ocarina of Time. If you don't like that please don't read this!

Hello! This fic is 90% complete, I'm in the final stages and editing the finished chapters. This is a retelling of BOTW with Sheik sent to aid Link. I'm playing fast and loose with Sheikah magic and technology which is incredibly fun. I'm also screwing with their history a bit so you have been warned!

This fic was just for my own amusement, I enjoyed writing it and I hope you enjoy reading it.

-

Ancient Sheikah Technology wasn't as easy to understand as they had hoped it would be. It was for this very reason that everything with the guardians went as south as it had. At least, that was how he understood it from Purah. A lack of understanding of the Sheikah and what they could do lead to not being prepared for the possibility of Ganon taking control of the very weapons they were prepared to use against him. They wanted so badly for an ultimate weapon they didn't consider the chance that the weapon was beyond their control.

With each memory that Link failed to get back he just questioned more and more what they were thinking, why they were doing it and why he got involved. It feels as if they were missing something in the story that all the others in history had. Yet he couldn't remember the stories so how was he supposed to know what it was?

He tried to let the thought go, tried to continue on his journey, and Link was doing well. He gathered what he needed, helped people along the way, explored Hyrule and found shrines. He didn't free any of the Divine Beast yet but he was preparing himself for that. It felt like he was getting closer to working his way up to them. Right up until he dropped the Sheikah slate down the mountain pass and it stopped working. They had told him it was waterproof, apparently no one had tested chucking one down a mountain.

Without the slate Link had to make the long walk back to Hateno Village to Purah who, with her vast and we'll gifted talents in this, managed to get the slate back up and running. The problem though was what the screen displayed when they finally managed to turn it on.

"Authentication failed!"

"What does that mean?" There was a bad sinking feeling about that in Link's gut. One that only got worse the more Purah tried to fight with it and didn't succeed. The tablet just kept repeating the same words at her much to her own growing frustration. A feeling he was definitely sharing with her at this point.

"Mm... I assume it's some kind of login system for this. See, a few functions of the Sheikah slate were locked out to us because of credentials. Like we weren't high enough on it's list of valuable users to see everything." He thought that was what the update features were for, apparently he was wrong and that was just Purah messing with the Sheikah slate.

"How'd you guys login to these the first time?"

"Didn't have to." She shook her head and looked up to Link. "The ones we found and used were already logged in. The ones that weren't we just stored away. That's why we had so few of them. And, after the calamity, only this one remained." So it was bad news all around today for him. "Here," the tablet was pressed back into his hands and Link slipped it into the case attached to his belt. "Go to Impa, she might have an idea or be able to try something I can't as the current head of our tribe." It was more of an idea than he had honestly so Link nodded to the instructions and departed Hateno Village for Kakariko.

Unlike where he was before, Kakariko wasn't that far away. It took him less time to get there than it usually did too as he pushed his horse as hard as Blueberry was willing to go. Without the tablet he wasn't going to be able to complete his mission and if he couldn't complete it everyone who was counting on him was doomed. Link couldn't fail, the Princess needed him to free her from her torment.