7: new partner

I was sitting at home alone working on the case the president had given me two weeks ago. A while back I was assigned to catch a man who attempted to assign the president's wife and three weeks ago they got wind of the man's partner ad his plan to take me out because I'm the reason his other half was in federal prison. Just when then Derek walked in and I shut my laptop.

"More top-secret white house stuff?" he asked.

"Yeah something like that, um we need to talk," I said.

"What's up, baby? Everything okay?" He asked.

"Uh yeah I've been assigned a case in New York, so I'll be headed there in a few days," I said.

"Mr. President says jump you jump," He said.

"It won't take long he just needs me to help someone look at a profile and then I will be back," I said.

"Okay," he said.

"what's wrong?" I asked.

"it's just funny how in a relationship you're supposed to communicate but we barely can because your part-time job for the president is all secrets," he said and walked off.

If only I could tell him but if I did, I would only be putting his life in danger as well.

The next morning we got up and went to work together but didn't speak a word to each other, he was pissed about the whole New York trip. We walked in and I went to my desk, "Are yall not talking?" Reid asked.

"What?" I said.

"The way yall walked in, you seem to be upset with each other" Reid said.

"Oh he's just upset I have to take a trip to New York for the president," I said.

"Oh and he doesn't like that you can share details," Reid said.

"Bingo," I said then looked at my watch.

"have somewhere to be?" Emily asked.

"Yeah my flight leaves in two hours and airport security are gonna be a bitch, so I'm going to head out," I said leaving.

I was boarding my flight when Derek messaged me.

Derek: Love you stay safe.

Me: Love you too.

The flight was okay, I missed Derek we normally go on all trips together. This will be the first time I've gone anywhere without him since I moved back from LA. After a while, the plane landed and I saw Jake waiting on me.

"Any news?" I asked.

"No, all we know is that the man after you is here in New York and the plan is to take him Into custody sooner rather than later." He said.

"So you're no longer a Lawyer and you are now on the team," I said.

"Yeah since the whole congressmen rape scandal so the President offered me a spot on the investigation team," he said.

"Been a while since you haven't had to walk around in suits huh?" I looked down at his simple shirt and jeans.

"Nope, what does a secret agent wear?" He asked laughing.

"Uhhh I wear a normal workday outfit" I Laughed.

"I don't have another job," he said.

"Maybe you should get one to help with your cover," I said.

"Oh yeah I am Mr. President is making calls to get me placed somewhere, but hey let's get out of this airport and do the apartment," He said.

We went to the apartment that was set up for us to work from, we had 48 hours to find the partner. I pulled out a bunch of screens and my laptop and then called Garcia, I was permitted to bring her into the mission as long as she didn't spill.

"Alright, Garcia you there?" I asked and her face popped up on one screen.

"of course I am sugar, okay so I've been tracking one Ivan and I found him, he is renting an apartment down the street using a different name," She said.

"Hello, Garcia" Jake said sitting down next to me.

"Oh hello Jake I forgot you were put on this," she said and then someone walked into her office, it was Reid.

"hey, Garcia who are you talking to? Is that Y/N with a guy?" he said.

"Reid hush you can't tell anyone she's on her case for the president and don't you dare tell Derek," Garcia said "Y/N I'll hit yall back" And she hung up.

"So Derek doesn't know anything?" Jake asked.

"Nope, I can't tell him you know that," I said.

"So he doesn't even know you're with me?"

"No he would just be even more upset," I said. and with that, he went to bed and I continued to do work with Garcia.

Jake woke up the next morning and walked into the living room where Garcia and I were talking plan.

"Alright what's the plan, we have 32 hours to take him down before he heads for your team," Jake said.

"The team?" Garcia said.

"Well yeah that's why we came to New York he sent me something threatening the team," I said.

"Then let's get this plan into action," Garcia said.

"Okay, but what is the plan?" Jake asked.

"Well Ivan has a business meeting at the club down the street tonight so we are gonna get dressed up and go, we'll be near each other act like we are together and then you'll walk away and Ivan will make his move and you'll move back in," I said.

"Alright let's get this done," He said.

Later that evening Jake and I got ready, we put our earpieces in that connected us to Garcia and headed to the club. We went and went to the bar where we had Jessica another member of our team working as a bartender, she poured us fake drinks so we could stay sharp but look like we were having a good time.

"any sign of him?" Garcia asked.

"yeah he's behind me in Jakes's line of sight," I said.

I gave Jake the signal to walk away and I pretended to order another drink and then Ivan came up to me just as we planned. No one could move in on him until he did something to give us a reason, so he asked me to dance and we did and then he offered to take me back to his place and he leads me out of the door. Once we got outside his grip got tight.

"Woah there buddy your grip is a little tight," I said.

"Good," He said and then put a gun to my back.

"Now" I yelled and when I went to drop out of the line of fire and right before the bullet hit his arm he fired into my side and I fell hard to the ground.

"Oh fuck" I screamed at the pain.

"Y/N!" Garcia yelled and she started crying.

"Garcia call 911 and now!" Jake yelled.

"Jake is she okay," Garcia said.

"I don't know, Get me a medic now Garcia" He yelled.

"Okay okay they are on their way, Y/N hang in there" Garcia yelled into my earpiece.

finally, the medics got there "Alright we need to move she's losing blood, the bullet made its way out but we need to get her closed up" Garcia heard then say through the earpiece.

"Garcia go tell your team okay?" Jake said and Garcia ran out.