25 - monster

^ literally me, sorry for the late update!

also remember that weird blue rock from like a few chapters ago? 👀 just keep that in mind

buckle up. this one's a doozy...

__Peter__

My head feels as though it's floating underwater. Sounds are muffled, it's almost hard to breathe. My eyes feel dry, reminding me of sandpaper as I open them. My eyebrows raise in surprise when I realize I'm staring up at the ceiling of my bedroom.

It's weird, but it feels like my thoughts hurt as I try to remember what had happened the night before. As hard as I wrack my brain, I can't seem to recall on my own. Either that, or it was giving me a headache and I just didn't care enough to keep trying.

Looking down at my sheets, I find the blankets tucked around me, like when May would tuck me in as a kid. I must've slept hard, considering I didn't even turn in my sleep.

I push myself up into a sitting position, finding a sharp pain poking me in the side. I peel away the gauze I find to reveal an already healing billet wound. Memories of last night come flooding through my head.

My first thought was whether everyone was okay after the attack last night. I rush to my feet and somehow manage to not fall over; My legs feel like jello and I hardly have the energy to keep myself upright. A pant of hunger strikes me right in the stomach.

"Nat?" I call out. My voice sounds hoarse, almost dry enough to hurt. I pull the door open and make my way down to the living room. Chattering voices echo down the hall, however they all seem to lack any enthusiasm whatsoever. It almost feels like forced conversation.

My first step into the living room goes completely unnoticed. Even by Nat, apparently. They're all either staring at the floor in deep thought, or staring at the wall in even deeper thought. Wow.

"Who died?" I ask with a playful chuckle.

All heads turn to face me. The tension in the room immediately dissolves as either smiles or relieved looks pass across each of the Avengers' faces. "Peter," Nat stands and walks over to me, her relieved look now replaced with concern. "What in god's name are you doing up?"

"I didn't know what else to do." I chuckle lightheartedly. "But seriously," I clear my throat, "Is everyone okay?"

Bucky pipes up from his secluded place in the chair beside the far window. "Everyone but you."

An anxious silence dawns upon the group. Or maybe it was just me. Who's to say, really?

"Oh..." I trail off. "Well, I'm alright now." I smile at Bucky. He gives me a kind, very forced smile back. "So, um, what happened to Doc Oc?" After a quick scan of the room, I realize Loki is nowhere to be seen. Hm. I'll have to go look for him later.

"Oh," Mr. Stark waves me off as he grabs a fresh cup of coffee from the kitchen. "He's detained. SHIELD's got it handled." That was his 'Tony Stark' way of saying, 'don't worry about it, kid'. Though for some reason, I felt as though that wasn't the last we'd be hearing of the villain.

I nod in response and stand there awkwardly, trying and failing to ignore the constantly piercing pain in my side. "Are you hungry?" Nat asks as she helps me over to the kitchen island. I sit down, feeling relieved as the pressure on my wound releases, even if only by a little bit.

I just nod, too embarrassed to actually say yes. I mean, it's not like she's my mom or anyth-

Hold up-