Chapter five

Garage/Studio 6:07am Monday 1994

Alex Pov

My eyes flutter open, my hands shooting up to my face to block my eyes from the sunlight coming through the garage windows. I sit up from the couch, yawning deeply.

"Morning sleepyhead."

I look around for my phone, patting down my pockets and flinging blankets around till I hear a thud. I look at my feet and find my phone on the floor. I pick it up, groaning into it,"Ugh, what time is it?"

"Around sex ten." Luke answers.

It takes me a moment to compose myself, becoming more than half awake.

"Wanna meet up at Marias? Get some java before school?" I invite, throwing on my pink champions hoodie.

"Sorry Man, I uh... I've gotta run to the pharmacy for my dad, get his prescription for his back."

"Oh, well I've gotta pick up my Lexapro today anyways, we can go together after school."

"Uhm, can't do that either. Mom needs me home straight after school to sign for a package while they are at work." He explains as I run my fingers through my hair, styling it to the side so it no longer looks like I just got out of bed.

"Okay, so then I'll just see you at school then?" I ask offly sadly.

"Yeah, I'll see you at school." And with that being said I close my flip phone, ending the nine hour call.

__________________________

Donter High School 7:42am Monday 1994

Luke Pov

I take my history textbook from my locker and throw it into my backpack. I sigh heavily as I slam my locker shut. Every inch of me hates lying to Alex about my whereabouts and why I'm there. I just wanted to head straight to Marias this morning and to the studio last night. I kept debating with myself during the ride to school on my bike about how one day of space seems like enough. But I know it's not. I know I've become a parasite to his life. And I know the rational thing to do is to break up with him, to free him in a way. Let him go find someone who won't hide him, who will let him be him and not only just in the privacy of their garage. But I'm selfish. There's no way I could just give him up completely.

As I shove those thoughts to the back of my head Alex appears with a tray of coffees. "Don't worry, I got one for Reg and Bobby. Wouldn't want this looking like anything  more than me caring about my good friends' lack of caffeine intake." He says as he hands me my iced americano. "Iced coffee in winter, psychopath."

I roll my eyes at his remark as I take a sip. "Thanks man." 

Alex nods, "Yeah, of course. How was the pharmacy?"

I take my second sip before raising an eyebrow. "Pharmacy?"

"Yeah... you uh, went to pick up your-"

"Dad's prescription. Yes." I interrupt, mentally slapping myself for forgetting my own lie. "It was good? Why?"

"Everytime I went to pick up my mom's meds they would always give me such a hard time about it, wondered if it was the same for you is all." He says with his hand in his pocket.

"I just have a more mature approach to it." I smirk.

"Yeah yeah, you're the perfect picture of maturity."

I flash him a big toothy grin as I begin to walk backwards, heading to American History. "Bells about to ring, better get to class Mr. Mercer."

Alex rolls his eyes as he turns around, heading to his first period.