Chapter eight

Reggies Bedroom Monday During Alex's Date 1994

Luke Pov

After indulging in Bobbys reasons as to why I myself am an Idiotic morron and after coming up with some killer melodies, it was unaminus that we three take a break. I lean into the beanbag, replaying the agonizing words that flowed out of my boyfriends mouth so carelessly, how each word hit me like a dagger to the heart and, though I practically pushed him out the door, how he so easily turned his back to me and hurried out of my view and reach. 

The thought of MY Alex out with Asher causes the knots already formed in the pit of my stomach to tighten. The thought of how maybe this 'date' could eventually become an eye opener to him, shows him how refreshing it is to be out with a guy who will show him public displays of affection.

Affection.

If Asher lays one finger on his flawless golden hair or his silk-smoothed skin, the poor guy will be left with merely nine fingers.

My jaw tightens at the thoughts, alarming Reg and Bobby.

Reg clears his throat as a way to catch my attention. I push the horrid thoughts back, placing my attention upon the boys.

"You know what, lets uhmm," Reg scrambles for an idea.

"Let's play MASH?" Bobby voices, getting up from the bench pressed against Reggies queen sized bed, making his way to Reggies desk, ripping out a few pages of paper out of a notebook.

"I uh, use those for history notes-"

Bobby looks down at the few scrambled sentences along the sheets of paper, he reads off "He died 1924."

"Solid notes Reg." I chuckle.

"That's literally it, no name, no event, just that." Bobby explains before continuing his teasing, "I'm truly shocked as to why you are failing History."

Reg rolls his eyes, "Just get over here." He huffs.

I let out a soft chuckle. "What's MASH?"

"Toss me that pen, I'll show you."

I pick up my blue pen and toss it to Bobby.

"Aight so, you create six boxes, like this." He narrates his illustration. "And at the top of each box you put a category, so we will do Spouse, Job, Yearly Salary, Pet, Honeymoon, and Kids." 

"Why not house?" Reggie asks.

Bobby sighs, "You uncultured swines, that's what MASH stands for, Mansion, apartment, shack, and house."

"Ohhhhh" Reggie and I hum in unison.

"This seems like a game you would play at a teenage girl sleepover." I state, reggie nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, Lola showed it to me..." Lola is Bobby's fourteen year old cousin who came to visit two months ago for a three day vacation, but still hasn't left.

"Okay, well I want to do Luke first, so show me how." Reggie says, leaning closer to Bobby.

"So just fill in these bo-"

The screams from downstairs in the garage interrupts Bobby's explanation.

"OH DON'T GIVE ME THAT! YOU DO NOTHING BUT WATCH THOSE DANG REALITY TV SHOWS ALL DAY!"

"LIKE YOU WOULD KNOW! YOU'RE NEVER HOME! WHO DO YOU THINK MAKES YOUR MEALS?! CLEAN THE HOUSE!? DO THE LAUNDRY?! WHO DO YOU THINK DOES THE VACUUMING, SWEEPING,  AND DUSTING?! CAUSE IT SURE ISN'T YOU!" Mrs. Peters hollers at the top of her lungs. "I CAN'T EVEN ASK YOU TO DO ONE THIMG WITHOUT YOU BLOWING UP AT ME!"

We all three fall into an uncomfortable silence, Reggies smile from earlier fallen, his face cringing at every word coming from his parents.

"ONE THING!?" Mr. peters laughs, "IT'S ALWAYS, OH JASPER THE BATHROOM FAUCET IS DRIPPING, OH JASPER THE DISHWASHER ISN'T WORKING,  OH JASPER THE GUTTERS NEED CLEANING, OH JASPER PLEASE DON'T LEAVE YOUR BEER BOTTLES OUT,  I DON'T WANT REGINALD SEEING THEM." He mocks his wife. "AND NOT YOU ARE PESTERING TO HAVE ME FIX THE HEATER! CAN I HAVE ONE MINUTE OF PEACE FROM YOU?!"

"IT IS WINTER! WE ARE GOING TO FREEZE! REGGIE WILL GET SICK!" She cries.

Reggies face softens at his mom's concern for him.

"THEN HE CAN STAY AT ONE OF HIS FRIENDS HOUSE IF HE DOESN'T LIKE IT!"

"JASPER YOU ARE HEARTLESS!" And with that, of what we can assume was the garage door, slams shut.

"Thin walls, huh?" I joke nervously.

"I practice bass in the garage, it's soundproofed..."

"Oh-"

"Reg, how long has this been going on?" Bobby questions gently.

Reggie is hesitant with his answer, "Just a few months"

"Months?"

"Bud, why didn't you tell any of us?"

"I just- if I talked about it then there meant there was a problem. It meant there was something to talk about. And I don't want there to be."

"Regg-"

Reggie sniffles a little, "Can you guys just go home? Please?" He begs weakly.

"You sure, Reg?"

"Yeah Reggie, maybe you should come with one of us for the night, or even a few nights. The studio is always an option, there's plenty of room for both you and Alex." I offer, sympathy could possibly be detected in both mine and Bobby's tone.

Reggie looks up at us with watery eyes, "Please. Please just go home."

Bobby and I nod understandingly, collecting our belongings and leave.

Side by side Bobby and I walk on the sidewalk.

"Think he'll be okay?" Bobby asks.

"I'd like to say yes, but I don't know. We aren't him, only he knows if he will be alright."

"He's strong."

Bobby and I lock eyes. "He'll be okay." We both say in unison.

"He'll have to be" I add on.

"He's the best one out of all of us."

"Yeah."

And with those departing words Bobby turns right to head to a friends house  and I continue heading straight. Though I know I should have turned right and headed home so I don't end up worrying my mother about my whereabouts, I keep heading straight. Hoping, just hoping that Alex will be there at the studio waiting for me. Though I'm aware that staying out any later on a school night will result in a near full out brawl with my parents, all I really care about at the moment is seeing Alex. Wanting to hear how much of an awful time he had with Asher this evening, how he wished he didn't walk out when I asked him to stay, and maybe, how he never even showed up on the date.

I let the gate swing close behind me, walking along the stoned path that leads to the opened garage doors. As I grew closer and closer the louder Alex's voice grew. And the more my heart ached for him.