Chapter six

Garage/Studio 4:39pm Monday 1994

Luke Pov

"Ah these drums are fire!" Zane exclaims, running over to examine them.

"Don't touch them!" I holler, stopping him from placing his greasy fingers on the cymbals. "Those are my bo- our drummers. Alex. He wouldn't want you touching them."

"Who? The gay kid?" He scoffs, "I could care less what he would want."

He proceeds to bang on the cymbals and beat on the drums with his fists until Asher grabs his wrist. "Leave his drums alone Zane." He says sternly.

"Or what? Is he gonna come in here and kiss me?" He laughs.

"Watch yourself, that's my best friend."  I scold.

"Ugh Zane can you just stop being a homophobe so we can get back to the project?" Camilla complains.

"I dont mind gay people." Zane huffs, yanking his wrist from Asher's grip. "Lesbians are hot."

Cami rolls her eyes. "Classy."

The three of us make our way back to the coffee table where Camilla is seated in front of the poster board, markers, and notebook paper we filled with information.

"It's just I wouldn't want to be in a band with a homo." he continues, "I don't know how you do it. What if he tried to-"

"Tried to what?" Asher interrupts him. "Tries to catch a glimpse of Luke? Kiss him?"

"Exactly that."

"What if you tried to catch a glimpse of Camilla? Tried to kiss her?"

"Asher, dude I would never. She aint my type and I can't stand her."

"Thanks." Cami sarcastically smiles.

"Would you try to kiss every girl you see?" Asher asks.

"No, cause not every girl is my type. And not everyone is into me and I'm not gonna waste my time on anyone who isn't... where are you getting at?"

"That there! Exactly. Not every guy is Alex's type. Pretty sure there's a few he can hardly stand. For you to assume he would go around kissing Luke is equivalent to us assuming you would go around kissing your science partner."

I'm taken aback at how Asher is standing up for Alex, he hardly knows him. I want to do the same but there's a part of me keeping me from doing so... a fear that they might end up connecting the dots.

"It's not the same Asher, he chooses to be this way."

"Oh you halfwit imbecile. No he didn't."

"Yeah, how would you know?"

"Because I didn't."

"How is everyone gay?" I mumble to myself before I speak up. "Youre gay?"

"Yeah... it wasn't a secret..." Asher looks around to see our shocked expressions. "Yall really didn't know?" He laughs.

"No!" Camilla exclaims, "You took Abigail as your date to homecoming this year!"

"Abigals gay." I chime in, Asher nodding in agreement.

"Wait really...?" Camilla smirks.

"But you dont look gay... or act it." Zane points out.

"I didnt know being gay had a look." Alex voices as he walks into the garage, causing us all to turn around and give him our attention. He looks down at his hoodie, "Do you think this hoodie makes me look gay?"  He teases, heading for the stairs to the loft.