We need help

Mark's pov

“What the hell was that!” Matt yelled as we drove away from the house. His voice cracked at the end, but I couldn’t blame him after what just happened. Thankfully, he could drive because we did not need to draw attention to ourselves right now.

I, on the other hand, was struggling to form any sort of coherent sentence. All I could think about was Bri’s eyes turning black as she screamed at me to run. It was my fault she had to deal with this. The moment Dark started showing any interest in her, I should have made her go home. It was my selfishness and stupidity that put her in danger, and I’ll never forgive myself for it. Matt’s shouting pulled me out of my thoughts and had me focusing on the problem at hand.

I turned to look at his face. He was wide-eyed and breathing heavily as he drove. “That was my best friend trying to give us enough time to escape. That was my best friend fighting off Dark long enough that we weren’t…..” My voice trailed off as I was slowly dragged into my own pit of despair. I should never have made Matt come over. Now, he was in danger too. I kept making stupid mistakes, and now I wasn’t entirely sure how to fix the problem.

“What are we supposed to do about that!? I don’t know how to fight off anything like that. I don’t know if you know this, but I am a drama kid, not a fighter! I’m the brains, not the brawns.”  Matt was quickly losing his shit, and I wasn’t entirely sure how to fix that. He was turning down different roads at random, with no clear destination in mind.

I spotted a park and pointed at it, a small thought coming to mind. “Pull in there. I need….I need to think for a moment.” 

He gave me a frightened look but started making his way into the parking lot. “We need to come up with some kind of plan. Br- Dark knows about Stephanie and Oliver! What if he tries to go after them?”

I shook my head as we pulled into a spot, and Matt turned the car off. “You’re not the one he’s after. The only reason he came after Bri was because she’s my closest friend. You aren’t even a blip on his map. He was trying to scare you enough to leave me on my own.” I left Matt sitting in the car, his head planted against the steering wheel.

I paced through the parking lot, muttering to myself, as I tried to come up with some kind of plan. Anti was working with Dark, and that was out of character for him because the two hated each other. That meant I was in a lot of trouble and couldn’t rely on Sean for help. I paused for a moment before slapping the palm of my hand against my head. I am such a dumbass. Anti wasn’t the only ego Sean had. Some of them were even helpful to have around.

I put a hand in the front pocket of my jeans, fishing around for a particular item. I had started carrying it around again after the last encounter with Dark. I finally found it in my back pocket and held it in the palm of my hand. It was a small gold coin that shimmered in the bright sunlight. The difference between this coin and a normal one is that it had a white cat mask on the front with ruby red eyes. The back had a black wand.

Matt looked at me as I slammed the door shut. “Turn off your phone. Turn off anything that has electricity. Anti is probably looking for us, and that is the easiest way for him to do it.” I took my phone out and did the same. 

Matt looked at me afterward with a frown on his face. “Did you come up with a plan because I’m at a loss. I don’t know enough about either of them, aside from what I’ve seen in the videos. I didn’t even take those seriously BECAUSE I THOUGHT THEY WERE FAKE!” It would seem that he was starting to panic again. Before he could get going, I showed him the coin.