Pythons

A/N these next few chapters are pretty long-

Jack was in complete bliss for the next few hours and it drove Crutchie crazy. He was humming that stupid song and smiling like an idiot. But he refused to tell Crutchie what happened or who he was with. Jack was a little upset he didn't get the chance to talk to Davey, but he felt it was moving too fast after Katherine.

"At least tell me what they look like." Crutchie insisted, leaning on the counter.

Jack hummed "Perfect. But they don't think that." He could see the gears turning in Crutchie's head. "They're just....stunning." Jack sighed.

Crutchie rolled his eyes. "You're in love."
"Am not!"

"They're just....stunning.." Crutchie mocked Jack then gave him a look. "You talk about them the way Spot talks about Albert and Race. Disgustin'"

Jack scoffed "I do not!"

"You do too! You're head over heels for this someone and dammit Jack Kelly I'm gonna find out who it is." Crutchie got in his face.

Jack just sat there, looking him dead in the eyes and eating his ramen.

"In the morning though, I'm tired. Goodnight! I know you'll stay up all night drawing Davey anyways..." Crutchie froze in the doorway. "It's Davey, isn't it?" He was very obviously trying to bite back a smile.

Jack blushed, "No.." Just the thought of being with Davey made his heart soar.

Crutchie squealed "It is too!"

And so they were, sitting in the kitchen until one in the morning, Jack rambling about Davey and Crutchie beaming the entire time. They ended up passing out on the couch to the new episode of Mandalorian and half eaten, left over, cold pizza. Which is how they would have stayed for the rest of the day that Saturday, if Race hadn't busted down the door around noon.

"JACK! I'se found a dog."

"I still don't understand why you adopted a puppy. Race, you can barely afford ramen."

The little bell of the pet store jingled as the two entered.

"I didn't adopt him, I found him."

They were greeted by two cheery birds and a few ferrets. The pet store was fairly small, but they made the most of the space, a reptilian area off to the side that had fishes, frogs, lizards, snakes.

Ew.

Jack hated snakes. Never cared for the slithery things. How did they move without legs? Why did they stick out their tongues like that? Race asked about them once, to which Jack had responded, "Jesus died for our sins but apparently he missed one."

To the other side were smaller cages of hamsters, gerbils, and huge spiders. A single bird cage up front, and in the back isles all the treats, brushes, cages, and pet care. He followed Race to the very back where the food and beds were stored.

"I'se gonna be a second if ya wanna look around." Race suggested.

Jack nodded, maybe he could take pictures of animals to paint later. While skylines and sunsets were Jack's specialty, he couldn't help but sketch the occasional human or bird, sometimes paint them.

He stopped by the birdcage, admiring the colors and natural detail of the beautiful birds that he would probably never know the names of. Jack headed towards the reptile-esque area of the store. The lights dimmed and more of a reddish tone. He turned to look at all of the fish tanks, just keeping himself occupied for now. The fish swirled around, leaving trails of bubbles. Ducking in and out of the artificial rocks.