15 | two promises.

a.

before spring break ended, i was suppose to go back to see papa, as usual. but this time, collins refused to let me go.

"why are you such an asshole!" i yelled at him.

"why are you such a whore," he echoed back.

we were in the back yard and i was hanging up the last of the laundry to dry. collins was doing yard work, pulling up all the dead bushes and weeds to make room for momma's flower beds.

"you see me doing one thing and assume i'm doing something bad. well i've seen you doing some shit too, you know," i spat out at him, grabbing another sheet to put on the line.

"but i know exactly what you're doing," he huffed, pulling up the roots of a dead rose bush out the ground, "and you're playing a dangerous game, girl. you think you're all grown now since you go to the city, but you're far from it. the people in there are bigger and crueler than i'll ever be. they'll eat you up and chew you out to nothing."

we both stopped working, eyeing each other down with scowls on our faces. i see papa and momma in him, in his face. he's handsome with papas eyes and mommas hair, but i also see him as someone different than the both of them—his own person.

"i'm not doing anything you don't know about," i retorted, my voice faltering.

his icey eyes darkened as he continued on, "you're lying because i know everything. when i see my little sister leaving a car with a man in the back, i know damn well there's only one thing happening."

i shoot him a glare as i shift uncomfortably under his gaze. i chose to ignore his stare and continue to hang the last few remaining sheets and towels to dry.

"i don't know what you're talking about cause we didn't do shit," i said annoyed.

"yeah, yeah. papa's girl can do no bad. if he only knew—you'd never be allowed to go back again," collins said as he went back to his work as well.

i paused for a moment and looked at him. he glanced back up, his face emotionless.

my stomach dropped at the thought of never seeing harry again. the thought had come to me before, but i never imagined it would actually come true. he'd never know why i'd stop coming. and i know collins would hurt him if he ever came to our house, which is highly unlikely but all bad scenarios instantly came to mind.

"you're.. not gonna tell papa.. are you?" i asked quietly.

he didn't reply instantly, but instead had a playfully dark smirk dance upon his lips, as if to tease me with the lingering silence.

"collins!" i said loudly, almost pleading for him to answer me.

he looked away and had his back face towards me, carrying on doing his work.

"no.. i couldn't do that to momma. she'd have to make the trip herself then. and she's older now, it wouldn't do her any good," he said in a voice i was wary of.

"so you're not gonna tell him?" i asked again to make sure.

"nope."

i nodded to myself and relaxed slightly but still on the edge, "alright then."

"but momma will be going this week. by her lonesome," he stated.

"what!?"

he sighed heavily before standing up and turning around from his spot. he had a bored look on his face, as if i were inconveniencing him.