TORCHES AREN'T RELIABLE

CATHERINE HADN'T FORMALLY introduced herself to the Griffin that flew her into one of the Telmarine turrets, and so she felt herself to be awfully rude.

Nevertheless, she continued to land on top of the tower, quietly peaking over the edge to watch as a soldier stands guard, pacing forwards and backwards in a uniformed, automatic fashion. Sensing something strange, he looks up, only to be met with the blank, dark sky. The Griffin grabbed him effortlessly, before he had time to scream.

Edmund was the first to jump down, instantly turning around to offer a hand to Catherine, helping her jump off the roof and onto the turrets' landing. She handed him his torch, dusting herself off as he positioned himself perfectly and began to click the button on and off, revealing a signal to the others. Catherine looked up and caught sight of her brother, flying in by another Griffin. She sighed deeply and continued to watch Edmund in silence, her mouth sewn shut.

God, she hoped this would work.

...

HALFWAY THROUGH THE PLAN, Edmund and Catherine patiently waited for the next stage; preparing to signal the troops to enter the castle after Peter, Caspian and Susan open the gate and Trumpkin lowers the drawbridge, allowing them to enter.

So far, Caspian and the others were hidden inside the castle, taking much longer to return than they should have been, and Catherine was beginning to chew her lip in concern, pacing back and forth. Edmund was flipping his torch in his hand, leaning on the wall as she worriedly paced in front of him, jumping at any slight movements. Hearing her tense breathing, he looked up with an amused smirk as she winced at another door slamming somewhere within the building. He chuckled and she let out a deep breath.

'Cath-'

'They should have been here by now.' Catherine said, shuddering slightly. 'Caspian said he wasn't going to be late, he promised me he would be on time-'

Edmund raised an eyebrow. 'Catherine-'

'Let me see your watch.' Catherine said, walking towards him and pulling out his arm. He smirked, analysing her face as she pulled back his sleeve to reveal the small clock, smiling at her flustered expression.

'Catherine.'

At this, she looked up, locking eyes with him and taking note of his amused smirk. He chuckled lightly, not daring to look away from her, afraid that she might turn away from him. He wanted to look at her for a little longer.

'When has Caspian ever been on time?'

This seemed to relieve her worries a little and her body relaxed, slightly, stepping back from being so close to him. She looked down at the floor, ashamed by her concern and he felt a slight pang when she broke eye-contact. He swallowed, ignoring it and frowned at her as she took a worried breath.

'Hey.' He said before raising his voice a little louder to grab her attention. 'Hey. It's going to be alright. He's with Susan and Peter, they won't let anything happen to them.'

'Peter hates Caspian, Ed.' She told him, beginning to pace again.

Edmund stood up, rolling his eyes with a small smile on his face as he switched the torch into his other hand and walked towards her, grabbing her by her shoulders, and peering down at her, gently.

'He's going to be okay. I know it.'

She nodded, soothingly and let out a deep breath. 'Alright. I believe you.'

Edmund grinned, triumphantly.

'Of course you do,' he teased. 'You will find that I can be very persuasive.'